Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

couch potato

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
my family just got their panther in today, and it screams on the G5.:D been using it for about 30 min. now, and havent had any bugs, but i see lots of other threads complaining.

so, whats your reaction to panther? is it everything Jobs wants it to be? some things you wanted to see but didnt? some things you think stink?

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
Definitely! I only had Jaguar on my new Powerbook long enough to register it and then do a clean install for Panther, and man is it fast.

I can tell the difference just from the registration screens.

Alia

Juventuz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2002
Binghamton
SORELY dissapointed.

I'd been using Panther since WWDC and found it to be great, it ran quickly and smoothly. I installed the final release copy tonight and have had nothing but problems. It takes forever for it to boot up, the fast user switching is having problems, apps take a while to start as well.

I NEVER had this problem in all the beta versions of Panther, but now that I go out and buy the final version I've been having a lot of problems. I should have saved my money and kept Build 7B80, it was working A LOT smoother and faster.

snickelfritz

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
Tucson AZ
Better than I expected, and much more significant than Jaguar was IMO.
Feels like a hardware upgrade!

Apple is not overstating the significance of this update, and it even seems like a bargain, considering the depth of the improvements.
Seriously, I think this OS will cause some people to switch platforms, especially in the notebook market, which Apple now firmly owns IMO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.