Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
There are many sites that provide Social Media image specs. Too many sites on this matter not all providing the same specs.. what a mixup.
Also there are inconsistencies for each business that do not follow the spec rules/dimensions that each pic should have. There are different sizes in FBCover photos, or FBProfile pics...etc.
What is going on? Is there atleast some site, providing image size specs thats reliable and can be counted upon for use?

Last edited:

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Hard to read and understand what each setting concerns... it needs a WYSIWUG interface... do u agree?

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Not sure what you’re trying to get, it lists out the exact sizes and recommendations for your profile photo and then the cover photo.

As a designer those are the key things you need to know.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I’m trying to get specs for the basic images in all social media… fb, LinkedIn, tweeter, Instagram etc.

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
You’re not going to find a source that has it all in one place that’s always accurate that’s why it’s always best to go to the individual platforms support documentation.

Google is your friend - “Twitter Profile Picture Sizing”

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Does each platform have support documentation stating the sizes of the pics to be uploaded?

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
For starters, i can't find Facebook's page that states the correct image sizes and dimensions.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
I dont understand the first direction... "Displays at 176x176 pixels on your Page on computers, 196x196 pixels on smartphones and 36x36 pixels on most feature phones."
Do i make it 176x176 or 196x196... shouldnt there be one size for all? :-(

Last edited:

organicCPU

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2016
Do i make it 176x176 or 196x196... shouldnt there be one size for all? :-(
If you click on the first link from @hg.wells and then click through that link you can read this an Facebook:
For best quality, your profile picture should be at least 320 pixels wide and 320 pixels tall.
I recommend some common width, like 768, 1080, 1200 or 1920 pixels by the same height. With higher density displays it´s no fault to take more pixels to make the graphic appear crisp on all devices. How large the size of an image makes sense, also depends on how it will get compressed and downsized from the platform (inspect the natural size of your image in Safari). Especially for JPG format but also for others, it´s a good idea, if the width and height can be divided by 16 and the result is an integer (dividable by 16). Another thing is image cropping. If it´s wrapped into a circle, like our avatars here on the forum, consider that especially for squared image dimensions in your design.

I agree, it´s hard to find any info for image sizes on social media. And worse, next time you´ll need to know it, it might have changed. Even more worse, you never know, if there will be a more recent info around somewhere. Maybe the page you´re gathering your specs from, is just outdated. Another pitfall is, that clients often don´t know what publishing format they use on social media and thus you don´t know, if you´re looking up the right image format at all. o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.