Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pixep0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
In San Diego, California.
Okay, so i've decided i want to keep private files. Something like word but with a password, and where I can put folders of private documents. I want a program for the macbook that no one else but myself can see, protected. Please help and suggest what programs I can use. Thanks :)

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
Okay, so i've decided i want to keep private files. Something like word but with a password, and where I can put folders of private documents. I want a program for the macbook that no one else but myself can see, protected. Please help and suggest what programs I can use. Thanks :)

Use an encrypted Sparse Image, that will grow as you put files/folders into it, and if you use a strong password, is fairly difficult to break into. Furthermore, you can even use FileVault on your Home folder, that will encrypt everything.

pixep0p

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
In San Diego, California.
Use an encrypted Sparse Image, that will grow as you put files/folders into it, and if you use a strong password, is fairly difficult to break into. Furthermore, you can even use FileVault on your Home folder, that will encrypt everything.

How do I do this? Im really new to it, sorry :))

jcs1088

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
if your willing to pay $27.30 you can get Apimac Secret Folder which not only puts a password on a folder but will make in invisible as well.

http://www.apimac.com/secret_folder/

i believe the way to encrypted Sparse Image is to go into disk utility, click on File>New>New Image From Folder, and the rest is pretty much self explanatory .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.