Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Parent of a couple of knuckle headed kids who have iPads and old iPhones they are using as iPods. We are considering moving them up to fully functional iPhones as they are of age, their friends have them, etc. But we want to be able to monitor what they do, limit apps, websites, time, etc. I know there are parental controls and screen time features for some of this, but I find those lacking, PLUS those keep getting reset or shut off periodically when doing software updates on their devices. I am looking for a third-party software (happy to pay for it) which allows us to monitor and/or restrict what the kids are doing on their devices and wondering what others have used and found success with.

Based in the US, if helpful. TIA.

Reactions: Rileyuk

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I know there are parental controls and screen time features for some of this, but I find those lacking, PLUS those keep getting reset or shut off periodically when doing software updates on their devices. I am looking for a third-party software (happy to pay for it) which allows us to monitor and/or restrict what the kids are doing on their devices and wondering what others have used and found success with.
I don't know what products you have tried but I have had incredible success using a Gryphon router to provide parental controls. I'm pretty knowledgable about computer networking and have tried many products (UniFi Ubiquiti & AmpliFi, Circle, Synology, Netgear) and have found the Gryphon product to be the best.

The Gryphon parental controls are extremely feature rich - screen time w/ reward time, internet access scheduling, individual device settings, individual app/web sites/services settings, usage data and insights, etc. Using the Gryphon coupled w/ Apple's Screen Time features, my kid's Apple devices are locked down tight. You get parental controls on your home Wifi network bundled w/ the hardware router. You can extend the same parental controls when devices connect to external networks (cellular or roaming hotspots) using the subscription service which I find to be well worth the expense. You install the Gryphon client app on the device, pair the device to the router, and all network traffic is routed from the device back to the router. It's basically a VPN... and you can dynamically adjust the parental control settings remotely. Real life example, my son is at a friend's house and I am out shopping. My son texts me, requesting more internet time. In the store, I launch the Gryphon management app and "reward" him more time. It just works.

The Gryphon is also a security conscious product w/ baked in firewall and threat monitoring. As someone who has configured low level router security configurations, I was impressed w/ the sensible defaults. If you are someone who likes to tweak your router settings, you probably won't like the Gryphon. The only way to access router settings and features is via a mobile app. Gryphon's position is a web interface is an attack vector. If you have ever used Apple Airport routers and enjoyed the "set it and forget it", you'll appreciate the Gryphon. I simply got tired of tweaking and adjusting settings w/ other products. I've have been using two Gryphon AC Tower routers (ethernet backhaul) for about 2.5 years and the hardware has been rock solid w/ my 1Gbps cable internet service.

The Gryphon devices routinely see great discounts online, especially the Tower and the little Guardian. I helped a family friend w/ a 3-story house set up three Guardian network, one on each floor (ethernet backhaul). Solid as a rock. Best value as the Guardian supports all the parental control features and the subscription service as well.

I'm sure there will be other posts recommending other products. That is to be expected. There are quite a number of products on the market w/ decent parental control features. You have to really know what you want in order to sort through them. My recommendation is read some online reviews, blog posts, etc, figure out which features are most important to you and go from there.

Reactions: Achiever

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I personally use Freedom on my iPhone for productivity and anti-rabbit hole purposes BUT it can also be used for blocking apps/websites that you dont want your kids getting to. The app store has a number of apps that do the same thing as well. I've had really good luck with Freedom and their customer service and support is really good! Apple's Screen Time is OK at best but it needs a lot of work.

With using any third party apps to do this though, you will have to disable app deletion from screen time settings on each phone.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
Wondering if anyone has experience using Bark or Aura (formerly Circle). Qustodio is also out there, but the first two seem better reviewed. Welcome first hand experience with any. TIA.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Wondering if anyone has experience using Bark or Aura (formerly Circle).
I have used Bark back when it was branded Circle. Its iOS support is very poor. In order to do its thing on your local lan, the little device performs ARP route poisoning. For the most part this works well, but there is a cost. Your lan speeds suffer. It’s been years since I’ve used it so the product probably has matured in software and hardware. At the time, the hardware was woefully under powered and I would have to reboot the thing several times a week.

Achiever

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I have used Bark back when it was branded Circle. Its iOS support is very poor. In order to do its thing on your local lan, the little device performs ARP route poisoning. For the most part this works well, but there is a cost. Your lan speeds suffer. It’s been years since I’ve used it so the product probably has matured in software and hardware. At the time, the hardware was woefully under powered and I would have to reboot the thing several times a week.
BArk was never Cirle. Aura acquired and incorporated Circle. Which did you use? I know Bark has a little device which attaches to the wifi router. Not sure that Aura/Circle does (from what I can tell).

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
If you're looking to go the hardware route, might I suggest the Eero router. I got one a few months ago and the app it uses for setup isnt' half bad. Additionally, it has built in app and website blocking, plus reporting.

Granted, this only works if your kids are using your home wifi. This doesn't stop them from accessing sites and apps on the cell network.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
BArk was never Cirle. Aura acquired and incorporated Circle. Which did you use? I know Bark has a little device which attaches to the wifi router. Not sure that Aura/Circle does (from what I can tell).
Sorry. Meant Aura. I used the Circle device for nearly 9 months around 2-3 years ago. Circle was a little, white square device which attached to one of the LAN ports of your router.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.