Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Ok, installed the new software updates earlier, and now my computer beeps at me loads! almost an error beep, but there isnt anything wrong.....and menus make the selected command flash around, ie not on the one the mouse is pointing to, has anyone else had this?

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
My PB gave me a strange message about running on battery power after I did the update and first restart - so I restarted again and that seems to have cleared up the issue. I did notice some more noises when I put things from my desktop into folders, but I couldn't tell you if that is usual and I just have the sound muted most of the time or if it is a new "feature". No other beeping that I've encounted.

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
I tried repaired permissions and a restart - No effect

I tried Verifying and repairing the disk, with a restart - No effect

This beeping is definately not normal. Its like its trying make too many beeps at once, and is making a long noise, but you can tell its made of lots of small beeps :S:confused:

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
New problem :(

When saving files, or anything else where you have to type in the small area similar to this, the computer instantly deletes whatever you type :(

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
cam50626 said:
New problem :(

When saving files, or anything else where you have to type in the small area similar to this, the computer instantly deletes whatever you type :([/QUOTE

Is your delete key somehow stuck down enough to have the effect of it continually being depressed? That could explain all the beeping and the deleting while you try to type.

cam50626

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Ok the problem definately seems to be something like the delete key being permenantly depressed. However, I don't believe its to do with the keyboard.

Here is as far as I've got now.

Restarted the computer, but cant log in as when i click on my user, it goes back to the select user screen, as if the delete key was pressed. However, this still happens when i unplug the keyboard and press the user icon.

Does this mean anything to anybody?

Please?!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Clean it, do a fresh install, etc. Make sure nothing's stuck under keyboard -- never heard of this problem before.

Ever.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
cam50626 said:
Ok the problem definately seems to be something like the delete key being permenantly depressed. However, I don't believe its to do with the keyboard.

Here is as far as I've got now.

Restarted the computer, but cant log in as when i click on my user, it goes back to the select user screen, as if the delete key was pressed. However, this still happens when i unplug the keyboard and press the user icon.

Does this mean anything to anybody?

Please?!

This just doesn't sound like a software problem and given that it's not popping up as an issue, I tend to think that there's something else amiss. I suggested the keyboard - you say that it's not that but the same sort of effect. As the last post inquired - what sort of mac are you running? What sort of keyboard? I love my Mac in large part b/c there aren't crazy issues, so allow me to encourage you to not dispair - there's got to be an explaination. Let's start with the hardware rundown. What sort of Mac? What sort of keyboard? Mouse? Any other peripherals? Any other changes made besides the software update?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.