Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobbyboulders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
So i updated some of my software from the apple(top left)>software update option. One of the updates was for the fan specifically. Now once in awhile the fan in my macbook will be loud enough for me to hear. This will last for about a minute or two, then slowly goes back to normal (i.e can't hear it at all).

Does anyone know what this is all about?? Is it supposed to be better for my MB?....it was an update (wish i could remember and name of the update, but I can't) and in the description it stated that it would improve the performance of the fan.....

If anyone can clear this issue up, I would be much obliged.

enclave

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2004
bobbyboulders said:
So i updated some of my software from the apple(top left)>software update option. One of the updates was for the fan specifically. Now once in awhile the fan in my macbook will be loud enough for me to hear. This will last for about a minute or two, then slowly goes back to normal (i.e can't hear it at all).

Does anyone know what this is all about?? Is it supposed to be better for my MB?....it was an update (wish i could remember and name of the update, but I can't) and in the description it stated that it would improve the performance of the fan.....

If anyone can clear this issue up, I would be much obliged.

Apple's fix for the fan issue was to make the fan run constantly.

bobbyboulders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
yea but, sometimes it runs fast and i can hear it (like a whining sound) and, well, most of the time it i can't hear it (can only assume it is running...right?)

I never heard it before the update.....basically I'm just asking if that is normal.

thanks.

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
yes this is normal. the fan spins more when the cpu is dissipating more heat which is when you are carrying out intensive tasks.

would you rather have an overheating macbook or hear the fan (which is usual)?

bobbyboulders

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
thanks for a clear response.

vega07 said:
.....would you rather have an overheating macbook or hear the fan (which is usual)?

well its not that i minded the sound....i just wanted to know if it was normal, as i've never heard it before.....now i have my answer

again, thanks

JMies419

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
I just bought my new macbook on the 16th of this month and I checked my latest firmware and it is the newest one..my macbook really does not get hot and the fans dont seem to run at all..I hope things stay this way!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.