Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Minghold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Situation: variety of intel-era iMacs currently running mucho paid-for 32bit production software at blazing speeds (i.e., Mojave from HFS+ partitions with MRT, Spotlight, notifications, and other annoying bits disabled). For obvious reasons, we cannot have these machines "upgrading", accidentally or otherwise.

Desired result: manual attempts to update the OS by going to either AppStore or About This Mac > Software Update must fail. Apple makes it very easy to click these buttons because it is trying very hard to force-obsolesce your paid-for hardware and software.

(Note: This is not a request for info on how to disable automatic updates (as that's already been taken care of), or how to disable notifications of updates (ditto). Additionally, I am not looking to lock or encrypt drives, or run revert/sandbox software.)

Tool of choice: Radio Silence, Lulu, Hands-Off, or other outbound-traffic blocker. (I like Radio Silence, as it's my kind of single-purpose utility that silently works in the background without constant irritating notifications.)

Problem: adding all of AppStore, Software Preferences, and Software Update (hidden Library/CoreServices) into Radio Silence does not prevent the unwanted offering of MacOS Catalina (or other OS) as a downloadable update in the instance of a user manually running Software Update. --It would seem that I am missing a hidden item or two somewhere. Suggestions?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
As Mojave doesn’t receive updates anymore, wouldn't be easier to disable the Software Update launch agents/daemons?

I don’t have access to Mojave right now, but I think this should do it:

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.softwareupdated.plist

sudo launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.softwareupdate_notify_agent.plist

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

Minghold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
What's that got to do with resolving the request in my OP?
As Mojave doesn’t receive updates anymore, wouldn't be easier to disable the Software Update launch agents/daemons?

Code:
sudo launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.softwareupdated.plist

sudo launchctl unload -wF /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.softwareupdate_notify_agent.plist
This is cumbersome, and I suspect would be whisked away at any point a Command-Option-PR resets accumulated Terminal tweaks to default. (This is why I'd rather stick to identifying the culprit widget and chucking it into Radio Silence.)
Install a profile which disables the buttons?

In other words, amplify my work-load exponentially. No thanks. Much, much more ideal: Identify the offending system widget and strangle its ability to go to the internet by throwing it into Radio Silence. So, what's the name of the offending widget? --That's the animal we're hunting on this safari. (I doubt that the name/location of the offending widget has changed over the course of El Capitan/High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina, as the About This Mac > Software Update popup-window look & feel of the OS didn't change during the period.)

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009

Minghold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
Code:

OK, this seems to be doing the job, and the setting even survived a Carbon Copy Clone to a different machine. Thanks. (I assume changing "unload" to "load" reverses the procedure.)

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
OK, this seems to be doing the job, and the setting even survived a Carbon Copy Clone to a different machine. Thanks. (I assume changing "unload" to "load" reverses the procedure.)
So this survives restarts?

Minghold

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2022
So this survives restarts?
Yes. Meaning: I can now idiot-proof all my Mojave/HFS+(MacOS Extended-journaled) installations running on 2012-2020 Macs, and clone to replacement machines as needed.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.