Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Has Apple killed the servers for software updates for Panther? I can't still download the Delta updates for 10.3.9 directly from Apple, but couldn't with Software Update.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
It's been about a year since I tried, but they didn't work then. I presume nothing has changed in the meantime.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
I think it's just another way of realizing that internet on older Macs (with older OS X systems) gets less and less useful, even to the point where it apparently can't search for, and download updates for its own system.
I suppose Tiger will be getting there soon, too.
You can still download combo updaters directly, and just run the installer, but the software updater tool doesn't connect, if I understand what you are saying.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
I think it's just another way of realizing that internet on older Macs (with older OS X systems) gets less and less useful, even to the point where it apparently can't search for, and download updates for its own system.
I suppose Tiger will be getting there soon, too.
You can still download combo updaters directly, and just run the installer, but the software updater tool doesn't connect, if I understand what you are saying.
Yeah, like I have said before, these versions of OS X are now in the realm of ancestor software. Just the fact they are running on an architecture that is now obscure is also gonna make anyway to maintain them just for nostalgia harder. I hope someone is working on creating an emulator that makes it easy to install them.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Yes, I meant to say you can download the combo update. The Java update can't though.
Ah, yes, I really struggled to get Java up to the last supported version, because some of the updates depend on other updates being installed first. It's much easier when you can just run Software Update!

Now I'm wondering how complicated the protocol is, and whether someone could host a third-party update server...

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Ah, yes, I really struggled to get Java up to the last supported version, because some of the updates depend on other updates being installed first. It's much easier when you can just run Software Update!

Now I'm wondering how complicated the protocol is, and whether someone could host a third-party update server...
Its no big deal though, since the only software I can tell that probably requires it is Adobe Dreamweaver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.