Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p1ngputts

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
Background: I bought my macbook pro a few days ago and installed a Vertex SSD.

I checked the system for updates and it said I had the EFI update... So, I ran the update and the laptop turned off, turned back on to a white screen, made a buzzish noise, and repeated 3 times. Then the mbp booted up fine and went to check for updates again, that update was still there.

2 questions...

1) Is it normal to go white screen/short buzzish noise when installing updates?
2)Why didn't the update work? I received no failure notification or anything like that.

Last edited:

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
What you experienced means that the update failed. There should be a off-white screen and a loud BEEP when an EFI update installs - that part's normal. What should not happen is the Mac rebooting three times.

p1ngputts

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2010
could it have failed because I didn't have the power cord plugged in? I was at a full charge so I figured it wouldn't shut off during the update. If that's not the reason, what is usually the most common reason for failure?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
could it have failed because I didn't have the power cord plugged in? I was at a full charge so I figured it wouldn't shut off during the update. If that's not the reason, what is usually the most common reason for failure?
Yes. The power cord needs to be plugged in for EFI updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.