Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
I had been having awful battery problems with this ancient SE 2016 but recently that seems fixed. I’m not sure if it’s the latest update or just magic/coincidence. It’s now back to lasting all day or two days with light use and it doesn’t seem to randomly drain the battery anymore ?. So I’m having second thoughts about buying a new phone, especially since none of them are as small as this. I’ve heard that it probably won’t be able to get iOS 16 but that there should be security patches for iOS 15 for years to come. How does that work? Will these updates just happen automatically? Will it be just as secure as iOS 16? Will it warn me when these patches are finished and there’s no more? I imagine my phone will just keep asking me to upgrade to iOS 16 and telling me it’s not possible.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
If an old iPhone has reached the end of the road for updates and it can’t update any further, you won’t get pestered to install a future version of iOS that it can’t run on. The nagging will finally end.

I wouldn’t (I’m not) be concerned with running a version of iOS a couple years behind the current version. The software isn’t really done and finished until 11 months after it debuts anyway.
Staying four years behind is too far, but two years isn’t a significant issue.

Reactions: Crystal21

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Crystal, interested in more detail. Did you upgrade to iOS 15 and are now getting *more* battery life?!!

We lost 2 hours on our iPad Air 2 when we upgraded to iOS 15 — and are holding off on upgrading our iPhone SEs because of that.

Crystal21

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2021
Crystal, interested in more detail. Did you upgrade to iOS 15 and are now getting *more* battery life?!!

We lost 2 hours on our iPad Air 2 when we upgraded to iOS 15 — and are holding off on upgrading our iPhone SEs because of that.
No, at the start iOS 15 totally destroyed my battery life. It went from easily lasting all day to only lasting a couple of hours. It’s only the most recent update, iOS 15.3.1 that seems to have fixed it. I don’t know how/why but the battery is now as good as it was before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.