Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Waiting on the MBA revision. I am now using my iPhone 3G S as a replacement in the mean time.

I am highly surprised by both how much time not having laptops freed-up for me to do something else, as well as how apt the iPhone has been at "replacing" them.
Not enough for creating content of any type (= work) but good enough to stay on top of things; which is probably good enough.

So now, I have a trip in the coming month. I will need to do some work while being on the road. I don't mind waiting until the last minute before I get another laptop, probably a MBA. Hopefully, the MBA will be revised by then (want 4GB RAM) but it looks unlikely.

Another thought was to get a cheap netbook to get by for that trip and actually wait for the MBA revision as needed (Jan?).

What would you guys do?

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
Spend the next month lowballing sellers on craigslist, buy used, buy cheap and after your trip sell it there for minimal loss. (or even gain if you are a sharp haggler)

adamjackson

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2008
I'm not going to chance working on my iPhone for more than 2 hours. the MBA is just great to have with me all of the time in a messenger bag. I think iPhone only will work if you get a battery pack to throw on the back of it and you'll have to invest in a few apps to supplement the features of the MBA.

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Well, I'm a little confused as to why you sold both of your computers off in order to wait for an update when 1) you need them for work and 2) you have no idea when they will be updated.

If you're asking opinions, I wouldn't have sold both knowing that I need one for work.

Having said that, buy a cheap computer (maybe even a PC or netbook). Force yourself to use windows until the update as punishment for doing what you did. :)

RayK

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Why would you sell if you need a computer for work? I'd recommend getting a deal on a laptop to tide you over until the updates come. Many retailers are clearancing all of their Vista machines to get ready for 7. Lots of deals to be had there.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Thanks for the responses guys.

On the road, work will be Excel and trading via a software I run in a stripped-down-to-the-bone XP SP2 VM with VMWare so I need more processing power, screen real estate and a connection to the internet.

I sold the MBA and MBP before they depreciate further: because some upgrades (don't know which) from Apple appear to be imminent now that Intel put out their latest processors. Had had the MBP for two years and the MBA for a little more than 1 year.

In my mind and from what I read, I thought something would happen before the first week of Nov (traveling then). Now it doesn't look like it.

drmalan and darngooddesign:
Yes, I have the idea of getting a Netbook in the back of my mind. I thought worst case, I'll just do that. Need to research the whole hackintosh thing as I have never ventured there.

jdechko: that's hilarious. I do at the office already and I am still on XP which I know like the back of my hand.
Those two laptops were my personal computers and used them when away from my screens at the office (where I spend most of my day time).

RayK: I know I am seeing regular laptops for $399/ $499 everywhere and Netbooks for $279-$399 as well.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
The Mini 10 and 10V both use the Atom processor. Is that good enough for VMWare?

Stupid Dell: anyone knows how to opt-out of the "LoJack" and "McAfee" software pre-installation?

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Guys, how about the Sony Vaio X?

Love the size/ weight etc. It runs on an Atom CPU though.

Hackintosh possible on that one you think?

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan

If you are going to buy one of those why not just get a 13" MBP for a similar price. I think it will hold its resale value much better then the Vaio.

Ruahrc

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Mini 10 and 10V both use the Atom processor. Is that good enough for VMWare?

Stupid Dell: anyone knows how to opt-out of the "LoJack" and "McAfee" software pre-installation?

Wait, if you're going to run your trading software in XP via VMWare anyways... why would you hackintosh an XP netbook into OS X only to VMWare it back into XP again? This makes no sense. I could maybe see the logic for a longer term solution but as you say it's a tide-over for what you claim is an upcoming revision.

Oh and you're not really going to get real big screen real estate on a netbook, or the "fisher price" resolutions (read: substandard compared to Windows laptops) of the Apple laptops either.

???

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Wait, if you're going to run your trading software in XP via VMWare anyways... why would you hackintosh an XP netbook into OS X only to VMWare it back into XP again? This makes no sense. I could maybe see the logic for a longer term solution but as you say it's a tide-over for what you claim is an upcoming revision.

Oh and you're not really going to get real big screen real estate on a netbook, or the "fisher price" resolutions (read: substandard compared to Windows laptops) of the Apple laptops either.

???

You are right. That's exactly what ran through my mind + all the above.

Couldn't decide. Hence this thread to help me think "out-loud".

Side note: that's the one thing I dislike most about Apple's decision when it comes to computers: why not allow higher resolutions?

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003

It's horrendously expensive for what it is. There are thin and light machines with better specs, even Sony makes one that are a similar price or cheaper. The Lenovo X301 would be a nicer option. That is a really nice Notebook, if your happy with a PC (and Win 7 is more than good enough for most tasks).

With regards to resolution, you get 1440x900 (MacBook Pro 15") on a 13" screen. Paul Thurrott (who knows more about Windows than most) uses Lenovo (the X200).

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
You are right.The Vaio X has good alternatives (I just liked that it is so small/ light).

Never owned a ThinkPad/ Lenovo machine though their owners rave about them. I'll look into it as well. Thank you.

The more I think about it and the more it seems the solution is to go with a small cheap netbook running Windows for my trip and then sell it/ gift it when the MBA revision is announced.

arrhhrr, this is more trouble than I need: Apple just release the newest MBA w/ 4GB RAM please.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
Never owned a ThinkPad/ Lenovo machine though their owners rave about them. I'll look into it as well. Thank you.

I think for good reason, not trying to sound like a spokesperson but I would pick one if I couldn't pick a Mac. They have comfortable keyboards (spill proof on many models), are very solidly built and have some excellent support options (i.e. no appointments and genius bars, they will come to you and fix the problem).

patrixl

Suspended
Jun 19, 2009
why not just upgrade the ram on the mba insted of selling it?

Have you tried, or read about anybody upgrading their RAM on an Air?

Hint: it's soldered on the motherboard, not user-replaceable. That's why everyone is asking for a 4GB Air...

Patrix.

RichardF

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 27, 2006
New York City
Update guys:

I have tormented myself over this and finally went and got the 13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 4GB RAM and 160GB HDD. I get 4GB RAM and it's powerful and small enough while keeping the cost down.

It doesn't look like the MBA will be updated anytime soon now and certainly not on time for my trip.

Besides, I thought that if needed in a few months, I could sell the 13" MBP at a small loss and use the proceeds for the updated MBA/ the 15" MBP or the Apple "slate"/ tablet etc.

So I am set for now. Thank you everyone for your contribution and help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.