Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MI MacGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
Just like it says in the title, as a savings exercise, I sold my '15 rMBP for one of those new Samsung Chromebook Plus'. I literally have zero regrets.

Some background information. My rMBP was my freelance web development machine w/ some graphic design work as well. I've slowly moved out of freelance work and with the rMBP being used more for web browsing than anything else and another baby on the way, I decided that we didn't need something as powerful anymore. Since the market for prev. gen rMBP units is so solid still, I sold the rMBP and picked up a Chromebook Plus.

Samsung and Google seriously deserve some kudos here. The fit and finish is outstanding. The screen is absolutely stunning. Battery life is consistently 10-12 hours for me. Really enjoying the 2-in-1 form factor and Android compatibility has been great so far. For $450, this machine is definitely worth a look.

One quick note here is the ARM processor. Given Chrome OS' light footprint and the higher end ARM processor, this thing flies. I have zero desire to step up to an Intel processor. This machine is a very good example of how great ARM processors can be in a laptop form factor.

Just my two cents.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I actually have one as well along with my 15" 2016 MBP. Bought it to try and see how it performed. I take it with me when we go out to Panera or DD. It really has a great screen and for everyday things works very well. Good luck with it.

Reactions: MI MacGuy

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Makes sense. For just casual stuff I use my iPad Pro 9.7 much more often than my MacBook Pro. I have even stopped taking the MacBook on shorter trips. The iPad so much more portable and I am not going to write a long document, or code on a short trip.

Reactions: Badrottie

mpConroe

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2017
Arbroath (UK) / Wroclaw (PL)
My mom has Samsung Chromebook. I wouldn't say that the display is stunning, more the opposite way - this is only a TN display. Laptop has lost "a" on the Samsung logo. My moms really likes her Chromebook, especially the price - 200£.
I would recommend this product for web browsing - and only for this. YouTube videos, news, movies. It's extremely inconvenient for editing doc documents - it supports only Google Docs which is nothing compared to MS Word or even Pages. You can't save anything on it - only on Google Drive. It supports flash, so you can watch movies on every site with videos. This is the only advantage of Chromebook compared to iPad.
But for me, as an Apple fan, I would prefer iPad for strictly web browsing. I wouldn't buy a Chromebook for myself.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have a little Samsung Tab Pro S for casual on the move playing with a great display and full OS etc so a lot of capability over mobile OS's yet still with tablet functionality at a reasonable price point and probably even cheaper now

Samsung and Lenovo turn out some nice little casual devices that are always worth a look

ljjycss

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2016
Isn't $500 expensive for a Chromebook? Dell Hp often have very decent laptop with Windows preinstalled on sale at the same price point. I am not sold on Chrome OS. Does Chrome OS has any advantage over Windows/MacOS? How do you configure peripherals such as printer, scanner on Chrome OS?

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Sounds like you just bought something new for the sake of it. I certainly fail to see the advantage in this exchange.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Isn't $500 expensive for a Chromebook? Dell Hp often have very decent laptop with Windows preinstalled on sale at the same price point. I am not sold on Chrome OS. Does Chrome OS has any advantage over Windows/MacOS? How do you configure peripherals such as printer, scanner on Chrome OS?

Printer works the same as printing from tablet or PC. It prints to a network connected printer over the network.

I have not tried a scanner, but imagine as long as the scanner is network connected you would be fine.

MrGuder

macrumors 68040
Nov 30, 2012
I see you mentioned savings you must have made some money on your MBP...I wonder if you sold a Samsung Chromebook to get a MacBook Pro would it still be a savings?

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
I tried the Chromebook Plus and lasted about 4 days. The keyboard feels is beyond terrible. I don't know how anyone deals with it. Mushy as all getout. Then again my primary machine is a 2016 rMBP...so I'm used to the crisp feel of the keys.

Also the speaker on the CBP was pretty bad. I mean, the screen is pretty but it pretty much ends there, IMO.

No f.lux or nightshift. My eyeballs were sore using it at night (I'm used to night tinting).

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
My mom has Samsung Chromebook. I wouldn't say that the display is stunning, more the opposite way - this is only a TN display. Laptop has lost "a" on the Samsung logo. My moms really likes her Chromebook, especially the price - 200£.
I would recommend this product for web browsing - and only for this. YouTube videos, news, movies. It's extremely inconvenient for editing doc documents - it supports only Google Docs which is nothing compared to MS Word or even Pages. You can't save anything on it - only on Google Drive. It supports flash, so you can watch movies on every site with videos. This is the only advantage of Chromebook compared to iPad.
But for me, as an Apple fan, I would prefer iPad for strictly web browsing. I wouldn't buy a Chromebook for myself.
You are referring to different Chromebook. OP is talking about Chromebook Plus, which is totally different animal when compared to standard Samsung Chromebook. This one has IPS screen with 2400x1600 resolution. Plus you get touch screen, 2 in 1 design and google play store support.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I have thought about Chromebook in the past in case my rMBP dies. When I bought a 12.9 iPad Pro and I have stopped taking my rMBP to go out. I wish iTunes app would work with Chromebook but I doubt it.

MI MacGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
I wouldn't have done it, but it seems to make sense for your situation and needs. Hope it continues to do so in the future.

Congrats on the upcoming kiddo!

Thanks! Yea, it wasn't something I'd normally do but given the situation and our current needs, the CB+ handles our needs just fine for the time being.

I tried the Chromebook Plus and lasted about 4 days. The keyboard feels is beyond terrible. I don't know how anyone deals with it. Mushy as all getout. Then again my primary machine is a 2016 rMBP...so I'm used to the crisp feel of the keys.

Also the speaker on the CBP was pretty bad. I mean, the screen is pretty but it pretty much ends there, IMO.

No f.lux or nightshift. My eyeballs were sore using it at night (I'm used to night tinting).

The keyboard is...interesting. I like the feel of the keys myself but the size is just different enough to make there be a learning curve to it. I don't have any strong feelings on it or the trackpad. Not great, not terrible.

The screen is indeed the highlight of the device. It's obvious that that's where they put the effort. However, the 3:2 ratio is what sells the device for me. I love this ratio vs. a widescreen. The size and weight is also super nice and the battery life is simply outstanding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.