Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arvindagarwalla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2022
I have found a simple solution that simply works!

M1 Max Mac Book Pro, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 16", Monterey 12.3.1
- j5create USB Adapter (Genesys Logic Inc) - simply would not connect on Ethernet
- iWALK USB Adapter (VIA Labs Inc) - simply would not connect on Ethernet

Interestingly, I am able to connect a Microsoft Wired USB Mouse via both the above adapters and work very well
- My M1 Mac refuses to connect to the Ethernet thru them though

On a hunch, I went to the Apple Store @ Orchard Road @ Singapore and got some very timely advice from Mr Timothy Chiam (God bless the young man) / he tried the following

- connected the original Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter to the Mac to which he connected the original Apple USB Ethernet Adapter and Voila, my M1 Mac connected to the Ethernet instantly

Image_1.png Image_2.png

- to make things simpler, he went looking for the original Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter but it was out of stock
- he connected a "Belkin" USB-C to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter and Voila again, my M1 Mac connected to the Ethernet instantly

Image_3.png

I bought the Belkin Adapter for SGD 44 (USD 32), brought it home and have been enjoying the amazing experience (what a relief)

My 5 Cents Worth
- Very similar to the issues we face with charger wires for the iPhone, Apple is very sensitive to the accessories it will allow it's hardware to work with
- Best to stick to Original Apple Adapters / Belkins of this world which are sold by Apple
- If this had struck me before, I would saved myself hours and hours trying to connect Ethernet to my M1 Mac and also a trip to the Apple Store / lesson learnt

Reactions: CoastalOR
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.