Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
France
Hello

My bad ?! My Bose sono is connnected in AirPlay on my wifi 5Ghz

And I wondered why i couldn’t play Spotify on it from my watch.

So I guess Watch doesn’t have the last wifi’s norm ?!

Does anyone have same issue and find a solution ?

Thanks

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
Bridge your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks together. Which should be the default. Do you have your 2.4Ghz radio disabled on your router?

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
1. you didn't say which watch you have. How is anyone supposed to help?
2. Apple Watch series 6 and later have 5Ghz (not sure about SE models)
3. Name your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks the same thing. In most cases, your device will choose the network it's compatible with.

Reactions: addamas

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
France
Bridge your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks together. Which should be the default. Do you have your 2.4Ghz radio disabled on your router?
Haaaa maybe this is the fact.

Because I didn’t bridge them because I would like to be sure that I am connected to the good wifi

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
France
1. you didn't say which watch you have. How is anyone supposed to help?
2. Apple Watch series 6 and later have 5Ghz (not sure about SE models)
3. Name your 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks the same thing. In most cases, your device will choose the network it's compatible with.
1/ sorry, just got the ultra, first Watch for me
2/ I look in watches setting and I didn’t see the 5Ghz bands, my watch was connected to the 2,4Ghz band. So I guessed, wrongly, that my watch didn’t have wifi 5Ghz
3/ I wouldn’t confuse my devices about 2,4 or 5Ghz. As I said, I would like to be sure what wifi I am connected.

So my issue is why I couldn’t see my wifi 5GHz on my watch…

Thanks for helping

RabidMacFan

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
California
1/ sorry, just got the ultra, first Watch for me
2/ I look in watches setting and I didn’t see the 5Ghz bands, my watch was connected to the 2,4Ghz band. So I guessed, wrongly, that my watch didn’t have wifi 5Ghz
3/ I wouldn’t confuse my devices about 2,4 or 5Ghz. As I said, I would like to be sure what wifi I am connected.

So my issue is why I couldn’t see my wifi 5GHz on my watch…

Thanks for helping
Check out the technical specs page for the Apple Watch Ultra

Connectivity​

While 5Ghz is usually faster than 2.4Ghz, 5Ghz has less range and is not as good at traveling through walls.
I'm not sure why your watch didn't show 5Ghz. However, if there is not much interference, you may have a better experience on 2.4Ghz anyway.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Haaaa maybe this is the fact.

Because I didn’t bridge them because I would like to be sure that I am connected to the good wifi
I have my 2.4 and 5GHz bands named separately. Always have since we have some devices, a printer, and our series 5 watches that can only use the 2.4 band. We have our phones and iPads, Apple TV, Sony tv, and a soundbar connected to the 5 band. The stationary devices - tv and soundbar - aren’t a problem but the phones and iPads come and go. So if we’re out of the house they would latch onto the 2.4 band when we come home since it has much greater range. We just had them “forget” that network so that they always connect to the 5 which is significantly faster. Our router on the 5 band pretty much covers our whole home so this is the best set up for us, and also allows me to see which band a device is connected to if there is a problem that might be related to WiFi. Naming both bands the same which our router allows under a unified network, lets the devices pick up the less effective band which we don’t want.

Under WiFi on your watch you should see available networks, our series 5s only see our 2.4 so nothing I can do with that, only 2.4 is going to be listed. Your Ultra supposedly can “see” 5GHz bands and connect to them. I‘ll be getting mine soon so I’ll find out. But on yours can you take a photo of the networks that show up on the watch? Your 5 band should be listed if you have them named separately, if not you’ll only see the one name which can get confusing, which is why I name ours separately. In my screenshot below you’ll see Extreme. That’s our 2.4 band and the only one that displays on the series 5. Hopefully with the Ultra there both our bands will be listed.

45EE5D92-D948-41EC-B642-44CAEFE6C1E8.jpeg

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Doesn’t your Watch use the same band that is connected to your iPhone?
It doesn’t have to. In my situation my phone is always connected to the 5GHz band of my WiFi network, my watch cannot connect to that so uses the 2.4 band. It’s all one network but I have the bands named separately. On the WiFi setting screen of my watch, that screenshot above from the watch, only shows my 2.4 band which it is connected to. Now @Bacasable should be able to manually connect his watch, the Ultra, to his 5 band if he can find it on his watch. If his phone is already connected to it he may not have to.

But his question seemed to imply that he has the bands named separately, and that the 5 band doesn’t appear on his watch, and it is not connecting to it. At least that’s how I’m interpreting what he was saying.

Bacasable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
France
Ok i solve the wifi issue but i still don’t see my Bose soundlink connected in AirPlay on the sale wifi that my Watch ?!

that’s incredible because I see it on my phone 😩

edit : I found the answer in this link

to be short, Apple Watch can’t be connected to an airplay device, to do that you have to pass by your iPhone then control the music from your Apple Watch.
i have already create an automation that play my music directly on my Bose when I open the Spotify app. But this automation work only for iPhone and iPad.
so when I launch music on Apple Watch at home I have to open Spotify app on iPhone and … BAM, sound on speaker.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.