Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I ended up reverting my Monterey M1 MacBook Pro to Big Sur using Recovery with the Apple Configurator 2. Foolishly I did not sign out of iCloud nor delete the Apple Pay cards before doing this.

I was able to Activate and restore everything and it is working fine. But Apple Pay found the previously set up cards in the security enclave and disabled them. It suggested to delete them and start over.

When I did that I got a message it had been disabled because the security settings of this Mac were modified.
Here is what I tried without success:
- Enable the full security policy for this boot drive, I had reduced it for Developer signed KEXTs
- Toggle System Preferences>Software Update>Advanced…>Install system data files and security updates
- Toggle any variety of Software Update settings
- Log out of iCloud and back in
Lots of reboots in between. No success.

Any other idea before I start the arduous Apple Support journey?

Later - SOLVED:
- I also tried toggling Filevault with no success.
After some more ruminating I figured the only place the old info could be retained is the LOCAL keychain restored during migration, this did the trick:
- Disconnect iCloud Keychain sync
- Go to Keychain Access>Preferences and delete the local keychain - you must enter a matching password for your account, since that is also key in a different db
- Log out, log back in
- Jump through a few hoops setting up some more passwords and reenable Watch Unlock

Then go to your wallet and set up the cards!

Last edited:
Reactions: Typherix

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
I only know when i disable my login password or something else, macos disable automaticaly my keychain in the past. The other things you talking about i never have problems with it. My apple pay works macos 11.4 and ios 15 on iphone.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I had that once after doing a re-install.

I think I had to enable the "Install system and security files" thing you already mention, followed by a reboot or two. If it's already enabled, disable it, reboot, enable it, reboot.

I may have had to disable booting from an external drive and/or re-enable System Integrity Protection (SIP) both by booting into recovery mode, but I forget.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.