Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBookpro2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Ontario, Canada
My wife who is in her 70's has been using Apple TV for a few years now but is having a hard time adjusting to the new remote and swiping on the top to move around. Could the silver remote we still have for Apple TV 3rd Gen work and would it work the same way as it did on the 3rd gen without the current swiping to move around. As people get older its harder for them to adapt :)

Last edited:

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I don't know if you know it (and if it would help), but you can also tap on the remote to navigate. Tap on the left side of the touchpad to move left, tap on the bottom to move down, and so on. No swiping required.

Reactions: MBAir2010

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
You could try using the remote that came with the tv, or using the Cable tv remote (if you have one). From Apple TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices > Learn Remote to set up a different remote control.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
you/she can also use the remote app on a iPad, iphone
the features are not as plenty as the tv remote, but much easier and less slide-pressure proof.

MacBookpro2011

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 19, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I was able to get the silver remote (3rd gen) to turn on the Apple TV 4K and it also works exactly the same as the 3rd gen when navigating throughout the Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.