Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arsradu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Hi guys,

Not sure whether this is an OpenCore issue or OpenCore Legacy Patcher issue, but I'm thinking it could probably be an OC issue.

So I'm running Sonoma 14.1 on a MacBookPro11,4 with OCLP.

Problem: the boot logo (Apple logo) is displayed BEFORE the boot picker, and not displayed when it should be, during the first-stage boot. I only have the loading bar. No boot logo. I'm guessing probably because it was already displayed before the boot picker, for a second.

It comes back on second-stage boot, and everything ok from that moment on.

For as far as I know, first-stage boot is on EFI side. So...I'm thinking there might be either a bug or something with either OC or OCLP. Problem is I don't know which one it is, and nobody seems to care enough about it to offer an actual answer, or a way to fix it.

I know it's not a big issue. But I'd still like a way to solve this, if there is a way.

On another note, same OS, same OCLP (so same OC as well), on a 13" Late-2013, this issue does NOT occur. Boot order is ok.

Any idea? Could anyone help on this? I can't get in touch with the devs (I can understand why, but the problem is, with the amount of people trying to find help for their own issue), there will always be a couple of topics that will be left out. So, right now, I don't even know where to start with this.

If you managed to read all this, thank you very much. :)

arsradu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
try this, worked for me, next time wait to update.
So looks like 2017 models have the same logo issue. But I'm not sure what am I looking for from the video. :)) Could you please, point me into the right direction to solve this particular issue? I've already watched this video before. I couldn't find a fix for the boot logo issue.

Maybe I didn't explain it right. So let me try that again. :)

The problem is not with booting up the computer after 14.1 upgrade. I know a lot of people have this issue. But not me.

The only issue I'm trying to fix is the missing Apple logo for first-stage boot. In fact, it doesn't look like it's so much missing as reversed order.

So, usually, it should be:

1. boot picker
2. boot logo + loading bar (first-stage boot) -> This seems to appear BEFORE the boot picker in my case.
3. small gap
4. boot logo + loading bar (second-stage boot)
5. login screen/Desktop

In my case, it's:

1. boot logo (without loading bar), for just a second
2. boot picker
3. loading bar for first-stage boot, without boot logo
4. small gap
5. boot logo + loading bar (second-stage boot)
6. login screen/Desktop

Any idea how to fix that?

Edit: same issue occurs with 14.0. So this has nothing to do with the update to 14.1.

Last edited:

arsradu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2015
Alright, I managed to find and fix the issue.

For anyone having the same issue, the problem is on Apple's side. And can be fixed by hiding the boot picker in the first place. It does the same thing even with Apple's firmware, which makes me think this is probably an Apple issue.

So, to fix this, if you're booting with OC or OCLP:
1. edit the config.plist, go to Misc > Boot > Show Picker > set to OFF. Save the changes.
OR
2. open up OCLP > Settings > Show OpenCore Boot Picker > set to OFF, and rebuild OC.

Done. Fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.