Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Hi everyone,

Lately my 2021 M1Pro MBP has started randomly shutting down and restarting instantly in a split second and asking for my password to log back in.

It doesn’t seem like a full restart tough (no black screen with the Apple logo, just the login screen)

I have done a hardware diagnostic and it came out with no error codes.

Here is what I noticed:

- happens both plugged and unplugged
- after restart, all my apps are gone except my finder windows
- Updated to Ventura, no difference
- No error messages after restart

Any hints on what I should do or look for to fix this issue ??

Many thanks !

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Probably window manager/gpu drivers crashing, there should be some sort of logs in console app. I had telegram triggering similar for me a few weeks ago.

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Probably window manager/gpu drivers crashing, there should be some sort of logs in console app. I had telegram triggering similar for me a few weeks ago.
Where can I check that? I don’t have any third party app running

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
I'll note that the logs didn't actually implicate telegram directly for me, and weren't terribly helpful, but I did have some, and it triggered when doing something in telegram.. so who knows. But I expect it's some form of GPU bug.

Reactions: MPB11

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
Finder -> Application -> Utilities -> Console
Thanks,

Indeed, I have few entries there as you can see under PerfPowerServices but I have to admit I fail to understand the details provided !

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2023-07-01 à 14.20.38.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2023-07-01 à 14.20.38.png
    445.9 KB · Views: 57

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
I'll note that the logs didn't actually implicate telegram directly for me, and weren't terribly helpful, but I did have some, and it triggered when doing something in telegram.. so who knows. But I expect it's some form of GPU bug.
Thanks ! I forgot to mention, it always happens when I'm not on the computer, for example, if I let it play music. It never occurred to me while using it directly which adds to the mystery so far

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I forgot to mention, it always happens when I'm not on the computer, for example, if I let it play music. It never occurred to me while using it directly which adds to the mystery so far"

From your original post, it sounds like you are being automatically "logged out" of your account.
The Mac is NOT "rebooting". You're just being logged out.
Then you have to enter your password to "get back in".

From your quote directly above, this occurs when you haven't directly "interacted" with the Mac for a little while, right? (as it might be if you just let it play music, but didn't touch the keyboard or mouse). Does it happen about the same number of minutes you've "been away" from the Mac each time?

I seem to recall seeing a setting somewhere -- it may have been in "security and privacy" -- the option to log out the current user automatically after a set period of time. Something like that, not sure.

I sense that your problem may be related to this setting.
What version of the OS are you using?

Rnd-chars

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2023
Yep, you might want to check this out to see if it’s due to inactivity, which seems likely if you’re not getting a “Your computer was restarted because of an error“ message.

Reactions: MPB11 and Fishrrman

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
OP wrote:
"I forgot to mention, it always happens when I'm not on the computer, for example, if I let it play music. It never occurred to me while using it directly which adds to the mystery so far"

From your original post, it sounds like you are being automatically "logged out" of your account.
The Mac is NOT "rebooting". You're just being logged out.
Then you have to enter your password to "get back in".

From your quote directly above, this occurs when you haven't directly "interacted" with the Mac for a little while, right? (as it might be if you just let it play music, but didn't touch the keyboard or mouse). Does it happen about the same number of minutes you've "been away" from the Mac each time?

I seem to recall seeing a setting somewhere -- it may have been in "security and privacy" -- the option to log out the current user automatically after a set period of time. Something like that, not sure.

I sense that your problem may be related to this setting.
What version of the OS are you using?
Oh wow...I think you are right. I had a look in the security setting and found out that the log out option after a period of inactivity was checked.

Would this explain the error logs in console as well ? They didn't occur after the same amount of wake time tough. I was running Monterey and now Ventura. Occurred on both.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Oh wow...I think you are right. I had a look in the security setting and found out that the log out option after a period of inactivity was checked.

Would this explain the error logs in console as well ? They didn't occur after the same amount of wake time tough. I was running Monterey and now Ventura. Occurred on both.

I didn't even know that there was such an option. My Macs always just go to sleep though I do set up the sleep time when I set one up. Maybe that disables the logout timeout.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

Just UNcheck that security setting, and see if it resolves your problem.

If it does, I wouldn't worry about "what the logs say"...

MPB11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 2, 2011
OP:

Just UNcheck that security setting, and see if it resolves your problem.

If it does, I wouldn't worry about "what the logs say"...
I did, I'm quite sure it is now fixed, hasn't happened even once since. Thank you very much !! :D :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.