Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Background: I deleted (temporarily) the Wemo app because it was misbehaving. Intention was to reboot and then reinstall app. Apparently I rebooted the device too soon, because now the Wemo app is dead. It shows as a kind of black & white frame on the icon. And while I can press & hold and tap delete, it does nothing on this zombie app anymore. In the App Store it still shows as installed, but when I tap "open" nothing happens. And it still shows in settings but doesn't respond to any inputs. I've tried resetting Ios settings, to no avail.
Suggestions appreciated.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Check the App Library and see if it’s in there and see if you can delete it from there.

Check iCloud storage in settings and if it’s in there too / try to delete it.

WEMO apps suck and always have. It’s by far the worst remote power switch app out there by far. Horrible.

Reactions: cam30era

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Check the App Library and see if it’s in there and see if you can delete it from there.

WEMO apps suck and always have. It’s by far the worst remote power switch app out there by far. Horrible.
(Yes, it's there and while it lets me "delete" it, it doesn't really delete it. Same symptoms persist)

Check iCloud storage in settings and if it’s in there too / try to delete it.
(No, it's not there. It only shows up as an app in "Settings" and the App store.)

Thanks for your suggestions. Much appreciated. And any other ideas, I'm all ears.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Yes, I have a backup. Unfortunately it made the latest backup after I created this problem.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Just stick the zombie on a dead folder and forget about it. It’s actually doing you a favor by disabling the Belkin plug. Time to move on to a better smart plug.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Just stick the zombie on a dead folder and forget about it. It’s actually doing you a favor by disabling the Belkin plug. Time to move on to a better smart plug.
I use the Weno smart plug and it works great. I use the HomeKit version.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
It’s the bs the po is experiencing that I’m talking about. Typical WEMO.
The hardware may be ok, but Belkin’s software (WEMO) is atrocious.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
It’s the bs the po is experiencing that I’m talking about. Typical WEMO.
The hardware may be ok, but Belkin’s software (WEMO) is atrocious.
The HomeKit version does not use the Wemo app. So for me it has worked really well.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Thanks for the suggestion. While I've found an app (WSwitch) that works for controlling the lights, I still need the Wemo app if I want to make any changes to the schedules. So I need to find a way to fully delete it, so that I can install it again. And I'm committed to too many of these Wemo switches to change horses now. But I do agree about the buggy nature of the Wemo app. In this case though, I take responsibility for rebooting my device before giving the OS adequate time to fully uninstall and delete the app.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion. While I've found an app (WSwitch) that works for controlling the lights, I still need the Wemo app if I want to make any changes to the schedules. So I need to find a way to fully delete it, so that I can install it again. And I'm committed to too many of these Wemo switches to change horses now. But I do agree about the buggy nature of the Wemo app. In this case though, I take responsibility for rebooting my device before giving the OS adequate time to fully uninstall and delete the app.
I would give Apple Care a call.

MatsSkoe

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2013
Three things that came into my mind reading this:
- force restarting iPhone (could help closing some buggy processes)
- connect iPhone via usb to computer with iTunes and sync (this handles some diagnostic reports to Apple and clears some system data)
- reset ‘Home Screen settings’ via iPhone reset settings menu (never used this though)

KaliYoni

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2016
Suggestions appreciated.
Another thing to try if you have a Mac is to download Apple Configurator 2 from the Mac App Store. AC2 is an iOS management tool designed for enterprise use so it contains a lot of setup and maintenance functions.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Three things that came into my mind reading this:
- force restarting iPhone (could help closing some buggy processes)
- connect iPhone via usb to computer with iTunes and sync (this handles some diagnostic reports to Apple and clears some system data)
- reset ‘Home Screen settings’ via iPhone reset settings menu (never used this though)
Tried to all three suggestions. None of them worked. But thanks for the suggestions.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Another thing to try if you have a Mac is to download Apple Configurator 2 from the Mac App Store. AC2 is an iOS management tool designed for enterprise use so it contains a lot of setup and maintenance functions.
That sounds like an excellent idea. Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac. But I'll see if a friend who has one is willing to try this and help me.

cam30era

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Well, you can always try installing the backup file, if you have a backup.
This was actually an OUTSTANDING idea. When making a backup and restoring it, the actual app isn't backed up and restored. Just a "location" in the App store. I just did this and it solved my problem. Thank you so much!

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
While nuking the phone with a complete restore fixed the problem - it’s an extreme remedy. It just highlights -once again- how bad that WEMO app is. Don’t even pretend that this will be the last run in you have with that dreadful app.
It will burn you again.

yukari

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
This was actually an OUTSTANDING idea. When making a backup and restoring it, the actual app isn't backed up and restored. Just a "location" in the App store. I just did this and it solved my problem. Thank you so much!
Glad to hear this worked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.