Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DKWalser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2023
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I was an early adopter of home automation, using mostly x10 and insteon devices. Now, I'm finally updating to devices that are compatible with Homekit. I have an Aqara G4 doorbell camera installed and it is connected to my Homepod Mini. Everything works as it should from my iphone and ipad pro.

However, my wife and daughters cannot see the camera from their phones or ipads. I have invited my bride and darling daughter number 1 (DD1) from within the Home app. (Home won't let me invite DD2!) Yet, they never receive the invites from Apple. On my app, it shows the invites as pending. I've tried deleting the invite and resending them several times.

How can I fix this problem?

Solution: My wife and daughters were not running the latest version of iOS. With iOS 16.4, Apple completely revamped Homekit's architecture. iPhones need to be running at least 16.4 to receive invites.

Last edited:
Reactions: Frosties and pup

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I was an early adopter of home automation, using mostly x10 and insteon devices. Now, I'm finally updating to devices that are compatible with Homekit. I have an Aqara G4 doorbell camera installed and it is connected to my Homepod Mini. Everything works as it should from my iphone and ipad pro.

However, my wife and daughters cannot see the camera from their phones or ipads. I have invited my bride and darling daughter number 1 (DD1) from within the Home app. (Home won't let me invite DD2!) Yet, they never receive the invites from Apple. On my app, it shows the invites as pending. I've tried deleting the invite and resending them several times.

How can I fix this problem?

Solution: My wife and daughters were not running the latest version of iOS. With iOS 16.4, Apple completely revamped Homekit's architecture. iPhones need to be running at least 16.4 to receive invites.
Glad you solved it. This has been an ongoing issue for me with iOS 16, even after everyone has updated to 16.4 and the new architecture.

Reactions: sparky672

sparky672

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2004
Glad you solved it. This has been an ongoing issue for me with iOS 16, even after everyone has updated to 16.4 and the new architecture.

Must be your network. No wait, you obviously still need to update everything to 16.5...

or just wait for 16.5.1 or maybe 16.6 to finally get this sorted out.

Seriously... every single day with this 💩pple Poop-show... every update brings more disappointment.

• Haha
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I spoke too soon. The issue is solved with respect to my wife. My daughter still doesn't receive an invite.
Not sure what device your daughter uses but I had the same problem. Just my daughter couldn’t get in. She has an iPad 9th Gen (she’s nine years old). I had to factory reset her iPad to get her invited back in. I know it sucks but it’s not too bad if you back up her device and restore from the backup.

fiatlux

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2007
I too just found out why my wife wasn't getting the invites: her phone does not run the latest iOS version. Her phone is too old for that and, while it is probably due for replacement, it is a bit raging having to buy a new phone to be able to control a light bulb (well, I use homekit for more than that but you get the point...).
My accessories are an assorted set of Sonoff and TP-Link items connected through homebridge so an alternative is to go back to the native apps and enable sharing there, but I would loose the integration in home and its ease of use.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.