Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
Hi, there.

I am in desperate need of help:

Our Macbook Air M1 with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD arrived just yesterday evening. I updated it to Big Sur 11.1 and then proceeded to restore from a TimeMachine backup of our mac Mini M1 running Big Sur 11.1. It was a fresh TimeMachine on an USB-C SSD. It recognized it and the installation process started as normal, but the progress bar stalled at "0 files". We let it run through the night, about 14 hours total, but no difference. Occasionally you could see LED activity on the attached USB SSD, but only short bursts. So I cancelled Migration Assistant and it crashed. I restarted the Macbook.

It now always starts into DFU/restore mode, showing a circled exclamation mark and the internet adress https://support.apple.com/mac/restore/. I can´t acess recovery mode while pressing the power button. On any boot attempt I end up in DFU/restore mode.

I have a Mac Mini M1, with which I tried the the processes of recovery/reviving/repairing via Apple Configurator 2 numerous times. I changed the cables, too, but to no avail. It always gives me the error "Failed to restore device in recovery mode, libusbrestore error:21 [com.apple.MobileDevice.MobileRestore – 0x15 (21)]"

Has anyone any idea or experienced similar behaviour with a possible solution?

All Apple Stores are closed due to the pandemic, so that´s not an option.

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
Have you checked Mr Macintosh video on it? Guy is very informative and I learned bunch of tips from his channel - esp things like which USB-C port to use, what are the key combos etc.

giffut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
That was a great hint! I thought I had all the information accurate regarding the DFU mode, but my timing was not accurate enough before.

But I experienced another error:

(AMRestoreErrorDomain-Fehler 53 - Failed to handle message type StatusMsg) [AMRestoreErrorDomain – 0x35 (53)]

It took me four tries before it finally worked.

Thank you.

Reactions: Clausewitz

Leon1das

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2020
Great to hear.

How about adding SOLVED to your original post text - and describe what you did - just to help other users who like scarry headlines (like me)...

Reactions: StoneJack

giffut

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 28, 2003
Germany
I edited it accordingly. But be reminded that the restore process itself failed again several times albeit I used the exact procedure outlined in the video.

The website of him has all the necessary information and firmware files:

I learned that you must have another running Mac available with the most recent mac os version and Apple Configurator 2 ready, when you want to use any Macbook or Mac Mini M1.

Strangely enough the Mac Mini M1 seems to be much more reliable regarding an easily bricked firmware compared to the Macbook Air/Pro M1 variants.

Reactions: Leon1das

MBehr2

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2018
Canada
Alternatively, without macOS restrictions of version and Configurator 2 restrictions, is iMazing. It has been restoring iOS DFU devices for a while now, and they've added macOS devices in DFU mode for restore. Easier and quicker.

foliovision

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2008
Bratislava
Alternatively, without macOS restrictions of version and Configurator 2 restrictions, is iMazing. It has been restoring iOS DFU devices for a while now, and they've added macOS devices in DFU mode for restore. Easier and quicker.
If any one else struggling to restore a non-functioning M1 MacBook Pro or Max after the deadly 12.7 update who is intrigued by MBehr2's suggestion wanders in here....

I'm a long time iMazing user. I was unable to find the macOS functionality in iMazing Configurator. I'd successfully managed to make my M1 Mac Studio see the MacBook Pro but Restore failed with this messsage:

The System cannot be restored on this device. Can't restore device in this state - please reboot into Recovery or DFU [com.apple. MobileDevice.MobileRestore - 0xFA0 (4000)]

Apparently it's because my M1 Studio is not on the latest version of macOS. No, it's not. It's on Monterrey 12.6 and is staying there. Apple made me sit through a twenty minute long 18 GB download to tell me that the Restore would fail (actually Apple wouldn't even try). What's worse is that I can and have downloaded the IPSW image for 12.6 but Apple Configurator won't let me apply that.

At this point I miss bootable backups. I remember some sycophant experts talking about how the lack of bootable backups is no problem as Apple M1 Mac automatically will restore their own OS. Never been closer to leaving Apple and macOS behind. At this stage, I may as well be running Linux. The tools are sometimes painful in terms of GUI but at least they work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.