Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benmuetsch

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
Hi everyone,

just picked up a 7,1 Mac Pro last weekend and spent the whole week to install everything in place, doing mainly audio work with the machine so this was more about plugins and DAW stuff.

The previous owner had Sonoma up and running and I downgraded manually to macOS Monterey, most things went fine at first.

What I first noticed was that my old 23" Cinema HD Display and the Radeon Pro 580X don't play well together, I had some graphical glitches and a white beam in the middle of the display (HDMI to DVI adaptor, the sellers display worked fine). Installed further and everything was OK besides the graphical glitch.

Later I've just tried to pop in an MSI RX 560 from my 5,1 instead of the 580X MPX, because the 560 has a native DVI port. Monitor and image was fine now but Sidecar disappeared in the system preferences (solved, see my own #1 answer). VideoprocConverter showed only H264 but no HEVC support, so I popped back in the 580X and beside the annoying beam, there is still no HEVC support.

Any ideas what to to? Tried several PRAM resets but no luck...

Cheers,
Ben

Edit:
Specs are:
MP7,1 2019
8 Core Xeon W-3223
48GB RAM
Radeon Pro 580X
1TB Apple SSD
2TB Crucial MX500 on OWC SATA PCIe Card
Sonnet USB3 Card

Last edited:

benmuetsch

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
OK, I've read that the Sidecar Icon has gone in Monterey vs Catalina (had to reinstall the MacPro from internet recovery the first time as there was no "user recovery partition" to seup the startup security utility allowing to boot from USB) and i've probably seen the sidecar preference in system settings at first in Catalina.

But still - where could the HEVC de-/encoding be gone?

benmuetsch

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 10, 2020
Hi all,
third post now but it seems that this is just not working in Videoproc anymore, HEVC works fine in Handbrake and also playing mp4 10bit HEVC videos in finder uses no CPU, so it's just Videoproc buggin around 😃
-Thread closed-

Reactions: argasek

nobullone1964

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2018
I just went through a series of emails about this with them. They blame Sonoma. Shouldn't you upgrade your software for the next OS? What an unprofessional answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.