Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
Hello,

First, I am trying to post my question on the OCLP Discord server as that is the recommended channel to ask for OCLP support. I have never used Discord and cannot work out how to use it - see end (*) - so this is why I am posting the question here.

Issue 2. Problems installing Graphics card on Catalina

The cMP 5,1 currently successfully runs DOSDude1 Catalina. I have tried installing a Radeon RX580 both on its own and with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT installed. In both cases the back screen with White Apple logo displays and the progress bar just show one white dot and the boot hangs. The power cable is correctly plugged into the motherboard and the card and the fans on the video card spin up when the machine is powered on.

Now, I bought this card from new, I did have it installed and working on the machine about a year ago but there were problems setting up and running multiple displays – which is why I thought I would install Monterey. I can’t see any damage to the card so I am assuming it is working. I can’t really test the card except put it in a Lenovo chassis which only accepts low-profile PCIe cards and does not have the supplementary power required by the RX580.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the video card installation?
I am thinking if I can get the video card to work on the Catalina OS, then if I rerun OCLP 0.6.5 on Catalina, the resulting installation material may include support for the RX580 card – and then I will be running a cMP with RX580 and Monterey – which is my ultimate aim.

Thanks,

(*) I have tried to setup an account on the OCLP Discord server and I can find no instructions on how to ask a simple message or post a question. I have gone round in circles for half an hour to try to work out how to USE discord - I don't want to set up a discord server. I am more than happy to post my question on the Discord server - I just can't work out how to use it.

cliverlong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2022
United Kingdom
Issue CLOSED. I just reinstalled the RX580 card in the cMP 5,1 , without the Radeon 260 XT, and the machine booted fine in DOSDude1 Catalina. I have rebooted several times and the machine is fine - except video seems a bit sluggish. The boot options menu was shown at power on - because I think I installed the OCLP EFI boot loader (??) on my Catalina boot disk. I am now running the OCLP "Mac Installer" to try to install Monterey on a new SSD - but that doesn't seem to be achieving anything except cycling round rebooting, selecting "MacOS Installer" option, showing the progress bar to 40%, hanging rebooting etc. - which is the topic of the other thread .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.