Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

donjames

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Henderson, Texas
Hi,

I have attempted to created a new SFOTT usb key on my Macpro 1,1 that is running os x 10.7 Lion using

Tiamo's sfott.app. I am trying to install Mavericks on this machine.

The usb key is not bootable.

I looked at the script and found these errors:

[replace boot.efi]
check if Tiamo's boot.efi is there
No (graphic) boot.efi found in Working Directory
downloading boot efi file from macrumors
from https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=449242
Credits tiamo https://forums.macrumors.com/members/460956/ [|] unzip archive into working directory
ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature
ls: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
No (verbose) boot.efi found in Working Directory
downloading boot efi file from macrumors
from https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=449107
Credits tiamo https://forums.macrumors.com/members/460956/ unzip archive into working directory
ditto: Couldn't read PKZip signature
ls: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv/boot.efi: No such file or directory
listing original boot.efi files
/Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
/Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi
unlocking /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi

cp: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
cp: /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig/boot.efi: No such file or directory
relocking new new /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi
chmod: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi: No such file or directory
chflags: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi: No such file or directory

listing boot.efi files

ls: /Volumes/OS X Base System/System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi*: No such file or directory
ls: /Volumes/OS X Base System/usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi*: No such file or directory

Operation done
############ end of errors ##############

I have two questions:

1) If I were to download boot.efi to my computer, where would I place it so that sfott.app could find it?

2) Is there a revised sfott.app script that will download boot.efi?

Regards,

Don James

Last edited:

donjames

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Henderson, Texas
I found the answer.
I copied boot.efi to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
sfott.app creates these two directories on the Lion hard drive. I had to run sfott.app once so that these two directories were created. Next, I copied boot.efi to these two directories, then I ran sfott.app again. This time sfott.app found boot.efi and therefore, did not attempt to download it from the internet. I had to open a terminal window and log in as root in order to copy boot.efi. SFOTT now shows up in System Preferences->Startup Disk. I selected SFOTT and then clicked on Reboot. The machine rebooted and started the Mavericks install.

I hope this helps someone else who is having the same difficulty.

Regards,

Don James

mrfrantastic

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2016
I found the answer.
I copied boot.efi to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and to /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
sfott.app creates these two directories on the Lion hard drive. I had to run sfott.app once so that these two directories were created. Next, I copied boot.efi to these two directories, then I ran sfott.app again. This time sfott.app found boot.efi and therefore, did not attempt to download it from the internet. I had to open a terminal window and log in as root in order to copy boot.efi. SFOTT now shows up in System Preferences->Startup Disk. I selected SFOTT and then clicked on Reboot. The machine rebooted and started the Mavericks install.

Regards,

Don James

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I searched the whole web and this solution worked! Even with Mountain Lion instead of Mavericks.

Again: if you encounter the problem that you cannot boot a disk you created with SFOTT: start from scratch BUT right after starting SFOTT (it creates the tmp-folders on startup), copy boot.efi in the directories /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
After that just continue with the creation of your disk as described in all the other tutorials on the web.

Thanks again, mate!

donjames

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
Henderson, Texas
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

I searched the whole web and this solution worked! Even with Mountain Lion instead of Mavericks.

Again: if you encounter the problem that you cannot boot a disk you created with SFOTT: start from scratch BUT right after starting SFOTT (it creates the tmp-folders on startup), copy boot.efi in the directories /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefig and /tmp/SixtyFourOnThirtyTwo/Tiamobootefiv.
After that just continue with the creation of your disk as described in all the other tutorials on the web.

Thanks again, mate!

You are welcome and have a wonderful day.

Regards,

Don James

ssprod

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2017
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Thanks again, mate!
Greetings, where do I locate "boot.efi"? thanks!

KPKING

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2018
Glendale
I found the answer.

Regards,

Don James
Don,
I cant seem to find those two tmp files after i boot sfott. Where should I be looking? Thanks Kevin

howardc64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2011
Similar issue creating a Mountain Lion USB key for iMac 4,1 upgraded to C2D+5,1 firmware. USB key doesn't show up on boot with option key.

The sfott script text output shows the unzip process for getting boot.efi failed so just need to execute those manually. Look at the sfott text output in the terminal window to see where it failed. Download the boot.efi manually (link in the sfott text output), put it in the 2 directories shown in the output (mine was different name than post #1. The directories are in /tmp in the OSX that is running (not in SFOTT Volume). After boot.efi gets correct located, then just run create/patch again but just patch the boot.efi. After this, USB key shows up on boot option and installed ML for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.