Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
I've been running ML on a Macbook Pro without issue lately, but a thought has come to mind: if I were to re-install ML from the ML install.app, would that wipe the drive as though it were a clean install? Or would it simply overwrite the existing ML files? Is there any benefit to this from a performance standpoint, as opposed to wiping the drive with Disk Utility and running a clean install?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
A standard reinstall will not erase any of your data, it will just update ML files. That said, unless you deleted/broke something that a reinstall would fix, there is nothing to be gained from it.

As far as a "clean install", IMO same thing. If it is working you have nothing to gain. There are others in the forums who are firm believers in the fresh install though.

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Thanks for the reply, Weaselboy! I guess I won't have to worry then if I accidentally re-install ML, as it won't hurt any of my personal files or change my configuration. I'll just have to reinstall all the OS updates.

VTECaddict

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
How exactly would you accidentally reinstall the OS? It's a pretty deliberate process, no?

You'd have to accidentally launch the installer. And accidentally accept the license agreement. And accidentally select the target drive. And accidentally click install. And accidentally enter your password. :confused:

Diogones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2009
Easy now, VTE: it was just a hypothetical situation; I never said that was what I was actually doing! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.