Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TacoFan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
Hey everyone

I just got an iPhone 15, upgrading from the XS

I had no issue whatsoever with my XS apart from the cooked battery obviously, annoying but manageable

I upgraded to the 15 to get something new after all this time and I didn't get the 15 pro for a few reasons. In my opinion (just how I see things, I know that for some people it's different) the only feature that could have interested me on the pro is 120hz. Decided I wouldn't pay 200 something more for that

The 15 is a great phone for sure. Big upgrade for the camera, Dynamic Island is cool, the battery will be much better, more storage, much better speakers...

But since I had no particular issue on my XS and I kind of have FOMO for 120hz thinking that with promotion I'd feel a "real" and bigger upgrade, I'm considering returning it

I know I might sound like an entitled person and it's a first world problem etc but am I tripping or do I make sense?

If someone went through this or just wanna share their opinion I'd love to read it

Thanks

Reactions: 3Rock

turbochgd

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2022
Just my 2 cents….

I think the XS is a really good phone, my wife has the XS Max and loves it. But it will be sunsetted later this year and you won’t be able to update to the latest iOS come the fall.

As for the iPhone 15, I have the 15 Pro Max and can say without hesitation it’s the best phone I’ve ever owned. And I loved my 14 Pro Max and 13 Pro.

What makes it stand out to me over the XS? I really like the Pro-Motion 120 Hz, Dynamic Island (first introduced in the 14 series), especially for live activities which I use a lot with sports, the Action Button (use it a LOT and much better than the standard button which just muted and unmuted your sound (only on Pro models).

But the biggest thing for me is the awesome camera. I tend to take a lot of photos and I am always amazed at how good the camera is on the 15 Pro’s. If you like taking pictures you’ll love the difference.

The last thing for me that has made a nice difference even from my 14 PM is the weight of the phone with titanium. It’s noticeably lighter than the 14. This is only on the Pro models. I’m not sure coming from an XS if this would be anything that would appeal to you as the XS models were lighter than the models that followed them.

USB-C has not been anything much for my use but I’m sure there are others that find it very useful and something they’ve been waiting for.

Last edited:
Reactions: TacoFan

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
Hey everyone

I just got an iPhone 15, upgrading from the XS

I had no issue whatsoever with my XS apart from the cooked battery obviously, annoying but manageable

I upgraded to the 15 to get something new after all this time and I didn't get the 15 pro for a few reasons. In my opinion (just how I see things, I know that for some people it's different) the only feature that could have interested me on the pro is 120hz. Decided I wouldn't pay 200 something more for that

The 15 is a great phone for sure. Big upgrade for the camera, Dynamic Island is cool, the battery will be much better, more storage, much better speakers...

But since I had no particular issue on my XS and I kind of have FOMO for 120hz thinking that with promotion I'd feel a "real" and bigger upgrade, I'm considering returning it

I know I might sound like an entitled person and it's a first world problem etc but am I tripping or do I make sense?

If someone went through this or just wanna share their opinion I'd love to read it

Thanks

It only has to make sense to you. I went to the 15 from a 13 Pro Max and overall I think the 15 is a better phone. If you really think the 15 is not worth the jump from the XS Max, then perhaps you can consider switching the battery and use it until the 16 Pro comes later this year.

Reactions: TacoFan and Devyn89

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
All I have to say is you are fine with the 15 as long as you got adequate storage. Going from the XS to the 15 is a good deal more modern phone and you are fine if you keep it. Turn it in for a Promotion screen is kind of a waste if that is the only reason you are. I say if you really want the 15 Pro or Pro Max jump down to the mall and go to the Apple Store after you have a taco in the food court and test out the 15 Pro

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I put my beloved XS Max to sleep. I was going to get a 15, but went with a 14 Pro instead. Pretty much the same hardware between the two, I didn't want an aluminum bodied phone. And the USB-C on the 15 was not enticing enough, since it is slow.

What I should have done was get a current gen Pro/Max.. but I am cheap, and I needed a phone. Got a good deal on the 1TB 14 Pro so I went with it.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
I own, and regularly use a phone with Promotion (13 Pro) and one without (work SE 2022). It's not worth the extra money for me, and I can very obviously and quickly see the difference.

Some people lose their mind at using anything less than Promotion. Meh....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I put my beloved XS Max to sleep. I was going to get a 15, but went with a 14 Pro instead. Pretty much the same hardware between the two, I didn't want an aluminum bodied phone. And the USB-C on the 15 was not enticing enough, since it is slow.

What I should have done was get a current gen Pro/Max.. but I am cheap, and I needed a phone. Got a good deal on the 1TB 14 Pro so I went with it.
I went from an xs max to an iPhone 15PM. My max for its 5 year old body performed admirably in iOS 17. But I wanted newer features and a better camera.

My wife has the 14PM. There is a subtle yet satisfied difference in the two models. The 15pm is better in many ways. The titanium frame makes it lighter. The telephoto lens is better, and a myriad of other improvements.

All in all a very worthwhile upgrade both from the can max and 14pm.

Reactions: freeagent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.