Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Thanks. I’ll give that app a look later today.

That does sound like a pretty neat feature of the GPS. It’s not one that I think I would use, but I can see how it would be very useful in cases like you describe.

Since I decided that I want an Android phone a couple of weeks ago I’ve been lurking and posting sometimes in this forum ever since. Reading the comments and seeing some of the screenshots of Android devices and reading articles from various websites has me looking forward to the experience.

I wasn’t eagerly anticipating Apple’s keynote this year and in fact the past several years have been this way. But I am eagerly looking forward to Google’s event next week to see what becomes of the Pixel. I’m fairly confident that I want a Project Fi capable phone and am up in the air about which Pixel I might get, the current model or the about to be announced model, or even that new Motorola phone that works on the service.

There are so many options when it comes to handsets on this platform that one can get lost in all the noise of it. But reading what all you folks write here has helped me keep my scope limited. It’s either Project Fi phones, or perhaps something from Samsung, Motorola or LG I’m thinking.

I don't know much about you, but based off your title of moderator of a site dedicated to mac stuff I am surprised you are making the move to android haha.

So, no iPhone X for you? Just want to try something new? I ask because when the s8/s8+ came out I was drawn to that phone every time I walked into a tech store. I have a 6+ now and waited out for the keynote in hopes that apple would wow me. Well the X is nice, but not at $1000. The iPhone 8/8+ line up is out of the question at their price and the same design.

So I am on the verge of going back to adroid (was with them when the s3 came out) and I am hoping for a smoother experience and the ability to customize my phone. Of course, that god damn infinity screen is amazing. Worst case scenario: sell the s8 a while from now and purchase an X later down the road.

Good luck with your transition.

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I don't know much about you, but based off your title of moderator of a site dedicated to mac stuff I am surprised you are making the move to android haha.

Nah, that shouldn't come across as a huge surprise. Most of the staff here are techies, just like the membership at large. Perhaps it might actually surprise some how many of the staff use non-Apple stuff everyday. I came to the forums years ago for help with my very first Mac and kind of stayed around since then. I use Windows far more than I do macOS at home and at work. I also use a lot of Google services with Gmail and my business G Suite account. I have a Google Home device, I use Google Play Music over Apple Music and have YouTube Red as well. I like iPhones and iOS but after 10 years with it I'm just ready to try something different for once. So being a staff member of MacRumors does not require us to exclusively use Apple gear.

So, no iPhone X for you? Just want to try something new? I ask because when the s8/s8+ came out I was drawn to that phone every time I walked into a tech store. I have a 6+ now and waited out for the keynote in hopes that apple would wow me. Well the X is nice, but not at $1000. The iPhone 8/8+ line up is out of the question at their price and the same design.

So I am on the verge of going back to adroid (was with them when the s3 came out) and I am hoping for a smoother experience and the ability to customize my phone. Of course, that god damn infinity screen is amazing. Worst case scenario: sell the s8 a while from now and purchase an X later down the road.

Good luck with your transition.

I watched the Apple event, like I always do and the iPhone 8 didn't impress me any more than my 6s does right now and neither did the X. I don't by any means discount the amazing job they did in the engineering aspects of it all and the design too. It's just that it doesn't blow my hair back like it used and that my mobile needs are rather basic anymore. Just email, web browsing, Twittering, texting and some office suite work to round it off. Seeing the X and some of the other Samsung phones at or approaching $1,000 is quite off putting to me when I compare that cost to what I really use them for on a day to day basis. So I'm holding out on the new Pixel 2 - probably not the XL version - to see what I will end up deciding on.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
Nah, that shouldn't come across as a huge surprise. Most of the staff here are techies, just like the membership at large. Perhaps it might actually surprise some how many of the staff use non-Apple stuff everyday. I came to the forums years ago for help with my very first Mac and kind of stayed around since then. I use Windows far more than I do macOS at home and at work. I also use a lot of Google services with Gmail and my business G Suite account. I have a Google Home device, I use Google Play Music over Apple Music and have YouTube Red as well. I like iPhones and iOS but after 10 years with it I'm just ready to try something different for once. So being a staff member of MacRumors does not require us to exclusively use Apple gear.

I watched the Apple event, like I always do and the iPhone 8 didn't impress me any more than my 6s does right now and neither did the X. I don't by any means discount the amazing job they did in the engineering aspects of it all and the design too. It's just that it doesn't blow my hair back like it used and that my mobile needs are rather basic anymore. Just email, web browsing, Twittering, texting and some office suite work to round it off. Seeing the X and some of the other Samsung phones at or approaching $1,000 is quite off putting to me when I compare that cost to what I really use them for on a day to day basis. So I'm holding out on the new Pixel 2 - probably not the XL version - to see what I will end up deciding on.

Very nice. Yeah I am checking out other android devices so well see what I come up with but its looking like Samsung. Like you, I am using google services more vs apple so the transition should be easier.

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
I do have some questions.

1. Why are there delays, sometimes very long ones, for certain handsets to get the latest version of Android? I understand that the Google phones (Nexus and Pixel) generally get the new updates immediately. But why do the handsets from Samsung, HTC and the others get delayed by the manufacturer and/or cellular carriers?
Thanks!
Oreo will make updating easier by separating core IS firmware and other components.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-review-758783/

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Oreo will make updating easier by separating core IS firmware and other components.

http://www.androidauthority.com/android-8-0-review-758783/
Actually it's really going to be Android P that tried to shake that up. O merely puts in a bit of ground work but it won't change anything currently and additionally even if Google do adopt something like P to make updating OS easier, it will still be contingent on OEM's to implement that, which they are free not to do. So whilst clearly Google sees the issue, I think the solution may not be so easier to obtain even with changes to core infrastructure unless they intervene and force OEMs to adopt this, which they will not do.

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Yeah, a lot of options.

I am in the same boat as you. I had been waiting for a physical redesign of the iPhone that I liked. One of the reasons I did not get the iPhone 7.

Apple disappointed me (wasn't expecting the Apple event not to) so I'm looking at Android as my next upgrade as well. That's how I happen to be in here now.
I actually tried moving to Android last October with the Pixel 1, and kept it until about March of this year. Due to problems I had with it (microphone issue and software issues; both of which should be resolved now) I then went to an iPhone 7 with hopes of picking up the new iPhone (what is now known as the iPhone X). But like you, I wasn’t impressed with the Apple event. That said, I’ve ordered yet another Pixel 1 and I hope I can hold onto it until it is no longer supported by Google. I want stock Android, fast updates and a headphone port so the Pixel meets my requirements. While it’s not the most exciting looking device I’m using an iPhone 7 so I can’t really complain!

I’m actually looking forward to reading which Android phone you go with and your thoughts on it.

bopajuice

Suspended
Mar 22, 2016
Dark side of the moon
I mentioned in another thread earlier today that I am probably going to switch to an Android phone after having iPhones for the past decade. I have essentially no experience with the OS and never paid much attention to it either, but I'd see or hear things on occasion. I am looking at going with the forthcoming Google Pixel 2 after it's announced in a few weeks. But as I continue to read and watch YouTube reviews about the Pixel and Android I do have some questions.

1. Why are there delays, sometimes very long ones, for certain handsets to get the latest version of Android? I understand that the Google phones (Nexus and Pixel) generally get the new updates immediately. But why do the handsets from Samsung, HTC and the others get delayed by the manufacturer and/or cellular carriers?
  2. Regarding the Google Play Store, is it more open than the App Store meaning susceptible to malicious apps? If so, is there a system or way of knowing how much an app can be trusted? Are there other places besides the GPS to get apps?
  3. I still have and use as my main email account the old .mac domain (youremail@mac.com). Are there apps that are compatible with Apple's email where I can still use it?
  4. I do use Twitter a lot and have Tweetbot which is iOS only. I've never liked the official Twitter app, so is there an Android favorite app out there that I should consider?
Thanks!

Almost sounds like you are asking questions from a predisposed point of view, or asking how can you make an Android phone act like an Apple product.

I have used both. It will take some time to figure out a new OS. Give it a try and then ask questions.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I actually tried moving to Android last October with the Pixel 1, and kept it until about March of this year. Due to problems I had with it (microphone issue and software issues; both of which should be resolved now) I then went to an iPhone 7 with hopes of picking up the new iPhone (what is now known as the iPhone X). But like you, I wasn’t impressed with the Apple event. That said, I’ve ordered yet another Pixel 1 and I hope I can hold onto it until it is no longer supported by Google. I want stock Android, fast updates and a headphone port so the Pixel meets my requirements. While it’s not the most exciting looking device I’m using an iPhone 7 so I can’t really complain!

I’m actually looking forward to reading which Android phone you go with and your thoughts on it.
A lot has changed for me lateley (with Android).

I mentioned elsewhere that I had two crap LG tablets about two years ago. I was using one of them as a NAV system in my car. I noticed that Google Maps was quite smooth, while even with the iPad Air 2 I have now Google Maps tends to stutter when updating location as I'm driving.

Lately some of the phones I've seen in public haven't looked half bad and Google seems to have cleaned up the presentation of icons and widgets on the lock and home screens. Something that drives me nuts with the iPhone is the wall of icons you often encounter, screen after screen.

Then having used my daughters tablet lately which is newer then those older Android tablets I had has given me some familiarity.

There are things I like and things I do not, but Android seems to have come a ways for me in the last year or so. It's very interesting because I had no inclinaton towards Android until lately.

I will let you know what I go with. I'm wanting to see what this new Google Pixel 2 looks like. First time I've ever wanted to see something of a Google event.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Maybe those who use WhatsApp or other messaging apps can help me understand something…

Why?

Using this app seems to require that the receiver be using the app as well. I can understand that if a lot of your friends/family are using this but no one I know (friends and family) uses anything other than stock messaging apps.

Getting my 70+ mother and my 80+ father to install an app just so I can message them is not going to happen. In the past, I've used Talkatone, which leveraged Google Talk and allowed messaging and calling using a Google Voice number.

That allowed me to use a WiFi only 3GS at the time to make calls and texts and did NOT require anyone else to have to install an app. I also got voicemail.

Is there something these apps provide over and above what Google Voice/Talk can give you that makes it worth asking other people to install it just so you can message them?

Reactions: SandboxGeneral

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
Maybe those who use WhatsApp or other messaging apps can help me understand something…

Why?

Using this app seems to require that the receiver be using the app as well. I can understand that if a lot of your friends/family are using this but no one I know (friends and family) uses anything other than stock messaging apps.

Getting my 70+ mother and my 80+ father to install an app just so I can message them is not going to happen. In the past, I've used Talkatone, which leveraged Google Talk and allowed messaging and calling using a Google Voice number.

That allowed me to use a WiFi only 3GS at the time to make calls and texts and did NOT require anyone else to have to install an app. I also got voicemail.

Is there something these apps provide over and above what Google Voice/Talk can give you that makes it worth asking other people to install it just so you can message them?
I'm going to attempt to answer this one as somebody who uses SMS/MMS, iMessage, Signal, WhatsApp and Telegram. Basically, the only reason you would use these apps is if people in your contacts use them. Otherwise just stick with SMS/MMS and as you noted, Google Voice is an excellent option since it can be used on multiple devices not requiring the person you are messaging to install an additional app on their end.

For your parents, you'd be wasting time trying to explain to them why they should install another app. It would likely be too confusing and would result in you having to play tech support for them.

My use is basically as follows...
  • SMS/MMS I use with my parents, family and contacts with less tech knowledge since it's easier for them.
  • Signal I use with my privacy conscious contacts.
  • WhatsApp I use with my contacts from Europe as this is a popular messaging app there.
  • Telegram I use with my work contacts. You can assign a username so nobody has to know your phone number in order to message you. It's also multi-platform and can be installed on computers, tablets and phones.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I'm going to attempt to answer this one as somebody who uses SMS/MMS, iMessage, Signal, WhatsApp and Telegram. Basically, the only reason you would use these apps is if people in your contacts use them. Otherwise just stick with SMS/MMS and as you noted, Google Voice is an excellent option since it can be used on multiple devices not requiring the person you are messaging to install an additional app on their end.

For your parents, you'd be wasting time trying to explain to them why they should install another app. It would likely be too confusing and would result in you having to play tech support for them.

My use is basically as follows...
  • SMS/MMS I use with my parents, family and contacts with less tech knowledge since it's easier for them.
  • Signal I use with my privacy conscious contacts.
  • WhatsApp I use with my contacts from Europe as this is a popular messaging app there.
  • Telegram I use with my work contacts. You can assign a username so nobody has to know your phone number in order to message you. It's also multi-platform and can be installed on computers, tablets and phones.
This is the single fly in my ointment for the plan to move to Android.

I've mentioned several times that I am not bound to Apple's services, yet I do use iMessage on occasion to communicate with people I know worldwide (most of them have iPhones). Only one person I know (in Belgium) has a Nokia.

So, in moving to Android I may have to get creative so neither of us are charged. That said, my communication overseas is infrequent so I may just swallow the cost.

Intellectually, I understand the concept of using different communication apps for different purposes. I was just wondering, other than those specific purposes what these third party apps offer that is better than the stock apps.

Thanks for that!

timeconsumer

macrumors 68020
Aug 1, 2008
Portland
This is the single fly in my ointment for the plan to move to Android.

I've mentioned several times that I am not bound to Apple's services, yet I do use iMessage on occasion to communicate with people I know worldwide (most of them have iPhones). Only one person I know (in Belgium) has a Nokia.

So, in moving to Android I may have to get creative so neither of us are charged. That said, my communication overseas is infrequent so I may just swallow the cost.

Intellectually, I understand the concept of using different communication apps for different purposes. I was just wondering, other than those specific purposes what these third party apps offer that is better than the stock apps.

Thanks for that!
Yes, messaging on Android can be overwhelming if you are used to using iMessage. But as you can see my messaging even on iOS is already somewhat convoluted so this isn't as big of a concern for me. For the person you know in Belgium, it's possible they have WhatsApp installed, so you could use that so neither of you get charged.

As far as what these third party messaging apps offer over the stock SMS messaging app: delivery confirmation, some have read receipts/typing notifications, can be used/installed on more than one device and they are free to use. Although, RCS (basically what is supposed to replace SMS/MMS as the new messaging standard) is supposed to fix all of these issues if it ever gets implemented.

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.