Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
I have Mac Os sierra and I am upgrading to Mac Os High Sierra. The problem is the upgrading is not workinfg properly. Always it reaches 43% the system says that cannot install the OS and show the option to restar or change the startup disk. When I chose the last one, no startup disks appears on the list. So I quited and use command R to acces the utilities tools. Before check if the disks are okay I access the "Reinstall Mac os" option but after starts the upgrading (8 minutes remaining) it shows a error message: A server with the specified hostname could not be found.". I don'tknow more what to do. If I reboot the machine I always return to the utilities tools.

It's the first time I get an error during the upgrading since I acquire my mac mini 2012 (more than 4 years). Please some help!

Edited: now I am using the Safari browser from the utilities tools waiting for an answer to fix this issue.

Is it possible to recover the sierra instalation without use the time machine? I forgot to create a backup today and I will lost everything I did.

If not, I can install the new os in another partition to not lost the files I have stored in the documment folder and in the desktop of the Sierra instalation?

Last edited:

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I had the same issue, however I was able to continue the update through recovery mode, but once it rebooted my startup disk wasnt there, I was only shown a disk password account, I had no choice but to restore from a time machine backup. I dont know if my experience helped, but it seems to be your only option if your startup disk isn't showing up. I talked to apple support for hours and this was the best they could come up with. Good luck!

PS,

Do you have File Vault turned on by any chance? I did and thats what I suspect caused the issue, it's hard to tell without an install log like in the good old days... I'm running a maxed out Retina MacBook Pro late 2013 btw

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Hi @nalk7

Thanks for replying

I know that I am a fool but this is the 1st time I forgot to create backup before a update. My last backup was made on Monday and need to keep the files I've worked yesterday. Now I can install the upgrade again (it is not stucked on the start) but the result is the: the system calculates the space, show the installing progress and the time (45 min) that is remaining. some time later, the system calculates the space/time and shows 43 min remaining. Right after that, appears a message saying:

macOS could not be installed on your computer
The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.DiskManagement error 0.)
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

I tried again several times without success. I don't know more what to do.

I thought to create a partition, install the High Sierra or even the Sierra in this partition to get acces to my folders, delete the instalatiion files and try to install again or forget about it and keep the Sierra, but I am not sure anymore if I will be able to do this.

Edited: I also tried this solution but it's not helped me: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/installation-in-progress-calculating-time-remaining.2072705/

Last edited:

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I would give that a try, create another partition and install the os there, if you cant see your former drive you could use something like disk drill to recover your files from the other partition and then restore from time machine once you have the files you need

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:
First:
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT attempt to upgrade until you have used either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to create a bootable cloned backup of your current Sierra volume to an external drive.

IF you have such a backup and something goes wrong, it's easy to get back to where you once were.
WITHOUT such a backup, you could end up flopping around like a fish out of water.

Both CCC and SD are FREE to download and use for 30 days.

Next:
Have you been able to download the FULL HiSierra installer to your applications folder yet?
Look now and see if it's there. It should be named:
"Install macOS High Sierra"

Do you have this installer?
(It's important, because my suggestions that follow depend on the fact that you do)

If so, do this:

1. Get a USB3 flashdrive of 16gb or larger.

2. Initialize it to HFS+ (if not already done)

3. Download "Install Disk Creator":
https://macdaddy.io/install-disk-creator/

4. BEFORE YOU RUN Install Disk Creator, you might make a copy of the HiSierra installer to somewhere else to "archive" it. I believe IDC will -delete- the installer file from the applications folder once the USB flashdrive is created.

5. Now, open Install Disk Creator. It asks you where the installer file is, and where "the target" is (the USB flashdrive). Choose these, then let it go.

6. When done, you should have a bootable USB flash drive with the HiSierra installer on it.

7. Now, power down -- all the way off.

8. Connect the USB flashdrive and press the power-on key, and then IMMEDIATELY hold down the option key and KEEP HOLDING IT DOWN.

9. You should get to the startup manager. Select the install flashdrive with the pointer and hit return.

10. The Mac should now boot from the USB flashdrive installer.

11. When you get to the opening screen, choose "install Mac OS" and then go from there.

Does this work any better?

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
The problem is that I cannot access the Sierra anymore. Like happened with nalk7 the system is not finding the startup disk. I thought this update was simpler than others since it was an enhancement of the same OS. I never thought I'd have a problem like that. As I said, it's my 1st instalation issue and I regret very much to have done it.

nalk7

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I actually just managed to install the update without a problem after restoring with time machine, I turned off file vault and ran the update without a problem. I think the partition solution and recovery software would be the best way forward if you really need those files.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Are you able to boot the Mac now?
Or do you have another Mac to use?

These are important questions.
Let us know and perhaps we can go on from there.

What is your goal?
Do you want to "get back" to Sierra?
Or start out fresh with HiSierra?

RenatoBB

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 2, 2015
Right now I am using the Safari within the utilities tools. I think the better move is to "get back" to the Sierra and try the update later or another day, turning off the file vault before as @nalk7 did. Actually I need to acces my files again, including those that I created yesterday and that are not in the the backup.

My situation:
- I can restart the mac and access the recovery disk and the Mac HD.
- When I access the utilities tools and search by the the startup disk, the system didn't find one. I read about the NVRAM and I think that maybe it could to solve my problem once I can use it yo reset the information about the startup disk.
- I also can retry the installation but always happens the same:
macOS could not be installed on your computer
The operation couldn't be completed. (com.apple.DiskManagement error 0.)
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.