Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfxsfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
Problem
The keys zxcvbn in my mbp stopped working from one day to another all together. This is basically the whole bottom row of keys.

Info
I guess that some cable is broken and thats why the whole line of keys stopped working all together.

I've saw a couple of tutorials to change the keyboard, but I have to dissemble the whole computer, which looks kind of overwhelming.

I have some experience with hardware, like changing the battery of the mac, and fixing some other easy things. So last resource I can do this. But are there are any other failure points easier to check before dicing into this HUGE mission?
The computer is kind of old, but I was planning to give it to my father that currently can't afford buying a new one. And it has 16Gb ram so for browsing and normal stuff still works like a charm.

Already tried
I already tried reconnecting the cable that goes to the trackpad and keyboard over the battery, to see it that was doing false contact, and I am having the same problem. Also I did all those canonical things like turning on and off, reseting smc, etc.

Thanks!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
From looking at ifixit.com, changing the keyboard on a 2015 MBP doesn't look to be an easy job.

Another thought:
How's the battery?
Could it be swelling up "underneath" those keys?
And... preventing them from working?

You could take the back panel off and check the battery.
Replacing it on these is "an involved job", too.

An Apple genius bar -might- be able to do it (if they still have replacement batteries for the 2015 in stock). Will cost you $250, however.

If nothing looks to be worth the job involved, could your dad use it with an EXTERNAL keyboard?

sfxsfx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
From looking at ifixit.com, changing the keyboard on a 2015 MBP doesn't look to be an easy job.

Another thought:
How's the battery?
Could it be swelling up "underneath" those keys?
And... preventing them from working?

You could take the back panel off and check the battery.
Replacing it on these is "an involved job", too.

An Apple genius bar -might- be able to do it (if they still have replacement batteries for the 2015 in stock). Will cost you $250, however.

If nothing looks to be worth the job involved, could your dad use it with an EXTERNAL keyboard?
Thanks for the answer.
Yes, already tried that, the battery is fine. I also tried to reconnect the cable that goes through the trackpad to the mother (which is the one that goes on top the battery and sometimes is pulled by a inflated battery) and still the same. problem.

Yes, I know it looks like a hard jobs, thats is why before trying to change the keyboard maybe there was something that I could do and it is a know or common failure related to keyboards.

And yes, I 've considered the external keyboard, but sometimes my father uses the computer to do presentations as well, and going around with an external keyboard doesn't look kind of professional. But yes, it is an option.

THanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.