Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
I only looked at the panorama, but it appears to be suffering from oversharpening. Its a wonderful shot, but there are sharpening halos all over the place, hopefully from your conversion or resizing.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i love it when someone posts photos here and someone goes and says where is that, after i clicked on them and realised straight away where that was :D

i've got just over 400 photos from when i was staying in and around the area, mainly in katoomba, and i have to hand it to you, there are some great photos there. i seemed to have some odd lapse of the ability to white balance properly when there and all my photos came out a tiny little bit blue.

nothing like an excuse for going back there 3 months later, is there?

:rolleyes:

dogbone

macrumors 68020
Original poster
jared_kipe yes, I did get a bit overenthusiastic but in defense it was 5am by the time I got around to reducing the original 200Mb image to 200k. I've mainly used black sharpening because I wanted a gritty effect on the trees but in the cool light of day I can see it's a bit overboard. I've just added another version (pan2) which is a lot less gritty.

bigandy if you look on the far right you can see the back view of the Three Sisters. Check out 'Walls Lookout' next time you're up here.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
dogbone said:
jared_kipe yes, I did get a bit overenthusiastic but in defense it was 5am by the time I got around to reducing the original 200Mb image to 200k. I've mainly used black sharpening because I wanted a gritty effect on the trees but in the cool light of day I can see it's a bit overboard. I've just added another version (pan2) which is a lot less gritty.

bigandy if you look on the far right you can see the back view of the Three Sisters. Check out 'Walls Lookout' next time you're up here.
200mb? what were you shooting with a Mamiya or something?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
dogbone said:
it's 9,700px x 1700px funnily enough it's only 100 meg opened and 200 meg on disk. It's in psd format and I thought that psd compresses and image.?!

If you are finished with your editing you should be able to save the image in JPEG and save space big time, with no loss in quality if you save at the 10 to 12 setting.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
bigandy said:
i seemed to have some odd lapse of the ability to white balance properly when there and all my photos came out a tiny little bit blue.

Don't think that's a problem. They don't call them the Blue Mountains for nothing, you know. ;) Also, I knew where it was right away as well. Haven't been there for ages, but I had a hunch.

@Dogbone: I think the original panorama is cooler, but it IS over-sharp. The black effect you see in the trees is great, and is absent from the 2nd panorama you posted.

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
Abstract said:
Don't think that's a problem. They don't call them the Blue Mountains for nothing, you know. ;)

yes, thanks for pointing that out! :p but, when the trees turn out blue it does look a bit odd to me. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.