Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 26, 2021
My Mac Pro 7.1 currently has two graphics cards:
- AMD Pro Vega II (MPX)
- Nvidia RTX 4060 ti 16 GB (single power cable)
If I add an AMD RX 6900 XT how do I connect it?
Should I only look for FE with two connectors?
Will there be driver issues between the Vega (Pro) and the RX (Gaming)?
On the other hand, currently the bootcamp drivers are only at driver 21.3 and some apps require 23.3.
But the Vega II is not recognized by AMD software.
Therefore impossible to update at the moment.
Has anyone managed to install these two cards at the same time?
I specify that I want to keep Nvidia for AI and 3D.

TrevorR90

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2009
Only the reference model 6900xt will fit anyways, there might be another model that might fit but I'm not sure.

As far as drivers. You will have to do some "tricks" to get the Vega II and 6900xt to work in windows. If memory serves me, others had to install the 6900xt first without the MPX and then after installing the drivers for the 6900xt, they installed the mpx and installed drivers for that.

Personally, I was never able to get the 6900xt and 580x to work together in bootcamp using that method. Might be different for the vega II.

maccan

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Maybe a bit off-topic, but related to MP 7.1 graphics performance in Ventura/Sonoma.:
I realized that on my Mac Pro 7.1 with AMD Radeon Pro Vega II the Apple Maps application has poor 3D performance in Ventura/Sonoma.

I did the following check:
1. Start Apple Maps
2. Fly to Manhattan
3. Zoom to complex 3D buildings
4. Press and hold ALT+LeftArrow (contineously rotate)

I get the following in Sonoma 14.1.2 (was the same in Ventura 13.6):

Apple_Maps_3D_Performance.gif

On some other forums users suggested it may due to internet speed, however a MacBook M2 Pro does the rotation very smoothly without any lag. In Monterey I did not have this problem. Everything was super fast as you would expect given the GPU power of the Vega II.

So my question:
Do you observe similar behavior?

Thanks in advance for testing!

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Maybe a bit off-topic, but related to MP 7.1 graphics performance in Ventura/Sonoma.:
I realized that on my Mac Pro 7.1 with AMD Radeon Pro Vega II the Apple Maps application has poor 3D performance in Ventura/Sonoma.

I did the following check:
1. Start Apple Maps
2. Fly to Manhattan
3. Zoom to complex 3D buildings
4. Press and hold ALT+LeftArrow (contineously rotate)

I get the following in Sonoma 14.1.2 (was the same in Ventura 13.6):

View attachment 2320825

On some other forums users suggested it may due to internet speed, however a MacBook M2 Pro does the rotation very smoothly without any lag. In Monterey I did not have this problem. Everything was super fast as you would expect given the GPU power of the Vega II.

So my question:
Do you observe similar behavior?

Thanks in advance for testing!

Ventura on my system it slows fractionally every 90 degrees, but continues to rotate smoothly... at least for as long as I could watch it before becoming nauseous 🤢

maccan

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2019
Ventura on my system it slows fractionally every 90 degrees, but continues to rotate smoothly... at least for as long as I could watch it before becoming nauseous 🤢
Thank you very much for testing! This helps me a lot since it hardens my suspicion that apple on its way to optimize for AS compromized the data transfer between CPU and GPU on the Intel Macs. I first noticed this when testing MPSMatrixMultiplication Metal Performance Shaders.

If you are interested have a look here:

Post Nr 377 was my investigation in this.

Regards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.