Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yemoja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
Hello, this is my firt time opened any/my mbp, am not expert, just curious and have some questions about the logic board and thermal paste.

The model
1545244618-picsay.jpg

I was checking the tutorial from ifixit and cant find information about those components on circle symbols. Heat sink tutorial say only about the green symbol, i think it's the processor ? And how about the others, they have a protect case, which i got no lucky to remove them - got one striped screw -, so i dont know if they came with thermal paste and if need to replace too.

Questions

What is those components with circle symbols, they need thermal paste?

There is any manual to know what is each component on this logic board A1278?

The protect cape from circle symbols have the same screw as keyboard ? For replace.

For this kind of striped screw - really small - what is the recommend way to removed it?

Thanks all o/

Just for who will open someday your mbp and is checking this, please, dont buy poor tools and have sure to the model of the screw you need to remove, before buying your replace components, make sure to have a nice tool set.

yemoja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
@deadworlds, sure, but i can only show the chip marked with a triangle. The others i cant remove the protect case :(

If there is some code or another model number i can put here to you know exactly what is my logic board, just tell me, the first picture was from internet, its not mine but the design and components tend to be the same.

20181219_182019.jpg

Srry for the quality, my cel cant do macro.

Last edited:

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
green triangle - CPU
blue circle - Platform Controller Hub (PCH) with integrated graphics
red circle - Thunderbolt Chip
all marked chips needs thermal paste, main heatsink is going for CPU, small is for PCH and Thunderbolt Chip
screws are different, they are specials screws suitable only for main heatsink and different (small size) for small heatsink, use only suitable screws to avoid long screw damage

recommended screwdrivers Wera, Wiha or Vessel, they have nice sets
thermal paste, I can recommended Grizzly Kryonaut

Last edited:

yemoja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2018
@_Kiki_ Thank you!

Well, I got a really problem, as i sayed, only one screw on PCH and Thunderbolt Chip is striped, so i cant replace thermal by now, do u think it's a big problem replace only the CPU paste and keep the old (7 years ) paste on others chips ?

About the striped screw, it is to small, i tried some techniques but with no success. The two methods i didnt try yet, cause i got no skill and tools, are drill and sordering, do you recommend any else?

This is how my problem looks like :p

20181219_182047.jpg

and this is to compare a PCH/Thunderbolt chip screw (philips) with a commum screw from bottom of macbook pro. Do you think it's the same

20181219_184352.jpg

In future, if i removed with sucess the screw, do you think this is the same ?
The thermal paste i already bought a arctict mx-4, but thanks for the recommended!

Last edited:

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
fans screws are different than heatsink screws, there is not much heat generated by PCH or TB chip, so if you can't remove last screw, it's not worth to take a risk

Reactions: yemoja
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.