Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FoX1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
Hello, I have a Macbook Air M1 512GB. I am a teacher, I am thinking about getting iPad 10.9 64GB as my secondary device. Sometimes I need more screen space and do not have access to an external monitor. I would also use it for browsing, youtube, etc. I have a question about using iPad as a secondary monitor. I know there is an apple app that allows mirroring on the device. Can I also use it as an extended monitor where I can control what's going on? For example, I open a TV show I have saved on my mac, drag it to the ipad and control it from there, pausing it, increasing volume etc, without interacting with my mac screen at all, where I may have something else going on. Thank you!

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Hello, I have a Macbook Air M1 512GB. I am a teacher, I am thinking about getting iPad 10.9 64GB as my secondary device. Sometimes I need more screen space and do not have access to an external monitor. I would also use it for browsing, youtube, etc. I have a question about using iPad as a secondary monitor. I know there is an apple app that allows mirroring on the device. Can I also use it as an extended monitor where I can control what's going on? For example, I open a TV show I have saved on my mac, drag it to the ipad and control it from there, pausing it, increasing volume etc, without interacting with my mac screen at all, where I may have something else going on. Thank you!
If you mean as a second desktop from the Mac via sidecar, then yes indeed you can. It behaves the same way as a normal second screen behaves.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Can I also use it as an extended monitor where I can control what's going on? For example, I open a TV show I have saved on my mac, drag it to the ipad and control it from there, pausing it, increasing volume etc, without interacting with my mac screen at all, where I may have something else going on.

Yes. In Sidecar mode you can mirror or extend your desktop, just like you could with any external display. There are a few additional tricks:

FoX1112

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2021
For browsing and YouTube? Yes. However, if you have a few photos, want to download music and movies for offline use or keep a lot of files in iCloud Drive you may want more. I have always found 64 GB too cramped even for a secondary device.
Thanks. I think I'll get a 2022 10.9 256GB. I wonder if the new entry iPad is being released soon with the pros and airs or in september..

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
You cannot use touch with Sidecar. Only the scrolling gestures with 2 finger and pinch to zoom. You can use a pencil instead. Alternatively use a third party app (you even have free ones) that give you full touch control. However you'll need to use your airpods or other speakers since Sidecar or other apps do not suppord audio on iPad (which only works Mac to Mac).

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
Nah. 64 GB is plenty for someone who only takes notes and stream media. Notes take up very little storage.
Your milage may vary, of course - but for me it's not enough under similar usages! Years of struggling and offloading apps and removing even downloaded iCloud files just to have room to do an OS update, none of which apple makes as easy as they could.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Your milage may vary, of course - but for me it's not enough under similar usages!

See, that's entirely different from
It's def not enough. No matter the usage.

In the end, none of us can tell with any certainty if it's going to be enough for OP.

I have multiple 64 GB iPads and none of them are even half full. Therefore, I think it could be enough for OP, but I can't say for certain.
For what it's worth, my main uses are taking notes and writing longer form text, reading, browsing, some photo editing. The photos I move to external storage after I'm done with them.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Thanks. I think I'll get a 2022 10.9 256GB. I wonder if the new entry iPad is being released soon with the pros and airs or in september..
Rumors have iPad model updates timeline as May. You never know though, also you could consider an older iPad Air.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
See, that's entirely different from

In the end, none of us can tell with any certainty if it's going to be enough for OP.

I have multiple 64 GB iPads and none of them are even half full. Therefore, I think it could be enough for OP, but I can't say for certain.
For what it's worth, my main uses are taking notes and writing longer form text, reading, browsing, some photo editing. The photos I move to external storage after I'm done with them.
The op asked opinions on whether 64gb was enough. I gave my opinion which was and still is, 64gb is def not enough. The rest of it here is me trying to justify what I said because others opinions differ. Nothing is 'entirely different'.

Opinion based on experience: to avoid any hardship, get 128gb minimum. You cannot get more after the fact, and if one is already asking if its enough, then it's probably not going to be enough.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.