Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
AS REQUEST OF EXPÉRIENCED MEMBER, I'D LIKE TO MENTION AT THE BEGINNING, THIS TOPIC IS BASED ON MY OWN TEST, I BOUGHT THESE CARDS, MAKE EFI ROM DIRECTLY ON NETKAS SCRIPT, WITHOUT ANY OTHER MODIFICATIONS, AND FALSHED BACK THEN TESTED ON MAC PRO 5.1, 3.1, SO THIS IS AND ONLY IS A PERSONNAL ADVICE TO WHOM WANTS TO BUY A PC Card TO FLASH THEMSELVES TO HAVING BOOT SCREEN, EVEN FURTHER TO KNOW WHICH CARD SUPPORT 4K OR HOW MANY MINITORS YOU CAN CONNECT AFTER FALSHED MAC EFI, IF YOU HAVE OTHER CARDS OR THE SAME CARDS HAVE DIFFERENT BEHAVIOR, PLEASE POST IT HERE IF YOU LIKE, SO WE CAN KEEP THE LIST USEFUL, IF YOU HAVE OTHER MOTHOD TO MAKE MAC ROM, YOU ARE SO WELCOME TO DISCUSS. AT THE END WE ARE ALL HERE BECAUSE WE LOVE MAC AND HAVE ENTHUSIASM THE SAME, I LOVE THIS FORUM, AND I WANT TO DO SOMETHING FOR IT, I WONT DEVISE PEOPLE, I WONT JUGE OTHERS, NO MATTER HE OR SHE HAS KNOWLEDGE OR NOT!

As request of work, i tested a lot of amd cards for mac efi, specially flashed by netkas script, i've found there are people like me who wants to know the effets after flashed before do it, or for certain usage for example reinstallation of mac os, switch between the systems from start up, this is still very useful for a great part of musicians, since their music equipement and software supported better in old mas os, so i write down some expériences here to share with members, i'd like to say thank you for members like alex, mike, coco, h9826, etc, their helps make me learn quick, i thank to you all so much.

There cards were tested on mac pro 5.1, then 3.1 non pirated system:

ASUS:
Asus 280/280x works on only one dvi (up position) , no matter you flash it to 280x or 7950/7970, (yes you can flash 280 to 7950, and flash 280X to 7970), it won't change anything on result, only one dvi worked, no other connector will be activated on mac, so don't buy it absolutely, this is confirmed at least by two members
Asus 7950/7970 will work on dvi + 2x mini dp, hdmi doesn't work, good to connect 2 cinema display
Asus 7970 the 6 ports version: 2x dvi + 4x displayport, only one dvi and one displayport work on mac after flashed
2 monitors at same time, no matter on mac efi or pc uefi, you can just use two monitors under mac osx

SAPPHIRE:
Sapphire 280/280X/7950/7970 has toooooo many differents cards, I mean you can tell from only the card's outlook, they are so different one to another, but they may be devised by two types: the version has 3 silver plastique between two fans, this is the first type, and all others version cards: dual x, trip x, vapor, vapor x, etc. are the second type
The silver plastique version works with three ports: dvi+hdmi+dp which one the same line, the others will work only on one dvi and one displayport, like asus the hdmi will not work on mac, neither under mac os nor windows, but you have second rom works perfectly without boot screen like other amd cards, both types can only connect with 2 monitors at the same time.
two monitors at same time

GIGABYTE:
gigabyte 280/7950 works on dvi + 2x mini dp, hdmi will not work
gigabyte 280X/7970 works on all four video ports perfectly including hdmi 4k
2 monitors at same time

MSI:
msi 7950/7970 will work like gigabyte 280, dvi+ 2x mini dp, the hdmi will not work
msi 280/280X works perfectly like gigabyte 280x, four video ports activated on mac
2 monitors at same time

CLUB 3D:
all serie 280/280x 7950/7970 worked perfectly with script, boot screen on all 4 video ports, but still can only connect 2 minitors, with any combination you want, of course you will have 4K support on hdmi

XFX:
Personnal tested again another XFX 280x black color dual fans version, DVI + hdmi + 2x mini displayport, doesn't work at all, boot from apple logo and end wiht white screen with four languages warning.
some member said his xfx 7970 works on all 5 ports: 2x dvi, hdmi, 2x mini dp, i haven't had a chance to teste it myself, thank you for crjackson2134 message.

AGAIN: THESE CARDS ARE NOT THE SAME SERIAL, EVEN THEY ARE THE SAME MODEL AND SAME FACTORY OR SUBVENDORS, IF IT SHOWS SOME OF THESE WORK AND SOME OTHERS NOT, IT SHOULD BE CONSIDER AS A RISQUE TO BUY A DOESN'T WORK ONE, SO MY CONSEIL IS DON'T BUY THE CARDS OF THESE LABLES, JUST MAKE SURE DONT WASTE ANY TIME TO THINK WHY WHEN IT DOESN'T WORK WITH.

The ideal to make this is not to say which card is good or bad, but in general information, if someone said his card works not like others, it's means this card behavior is not stable, that's why people has different experience on it, so when someone wants to buy it, he will know what is waiting for him, that makes sens right? by normal human consideration: we will avoid to buy some confused thing, and to buy something for sure, which people has commun experience, that we called worth to buy, or rentable in french. nobody buy thing for looking for trouble, anyway.

So basically, except i mentioned above msi, gigabyte and club 3d, now we have xfx 7970, like perfectly worked with netkas script, if anyone find new or find mistake here please you are welcome to give a feedback, thank you all, and have fun.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
which video card doesn't work with netkas script:

his hd 7950, basicly it will do a new efi rom by the script, but need to edit it to solve the full speed fan problem on Mac Pro, there is editor program for that. can be flashed back, but personal advice: don't buy it.

asus r9 280x, it will do the efi rom, but only one port will work on mac, that's our classical dvi, no matter you flash to 280x or 7970, same result only one dvi activated, so doesn't worth to buy it while other 280x can have 2, 3 or even 4 ports worked after mac efi

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
which video card doesn't work with netkas script:

his hd 7950, basicly it will do a new efi rom by the script, but need to edit it to solve the full speed fan problem on Mac Pro, there is editor program for that. can be flashed back

asus r9 280x, it will do the efi rom, but nothing will show on screen of Mac Pro, dvi hdmi displayport are all dead in Mac OS, but still works on pc windows, and can be flashed back.

The HIS IceQ HD7950’s ROM definitely can be patch by Netkas script and no fan issue.

Reactions: MIKX

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
parisinvest

Your statements abut GPU flashing are often wrong and your GPU advice could be both expensive and discouraging for other GPU flashing newbies.

You appear to have a lot to learn regarding GPU flashing.

i advise you ( politely ) not to post about something that you seem to know little about compared to many other users here whom never seem to have the problems you have.

Have a look at my .sig below. .

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
The HIS IceQ HD7950’s ROM definitely can be patch by Netkas script and no fan issue.

I've one in my studio, I've flashed its' three version of rom of this card, and no one can start Mac Pro without problem fan, did you try yourself? if yes could you put the efi rom here to see please? thank you
[doublepost=1544379289][/doublepost]
My XFX HD7970 has video/boot screens on all ports.

we are talking about netkas script, xfx is known doesn't work with netkas, it will not make xfx efi rom, so did you flash your card yourself? where did you find your rom please?
[doublepost=1544379502][/doublepost]
parisinvest

Your statements abut GPU flashing are often wrong and your GPU advice could be both expensive and discouraging for other GPU flashing newbies.

i advise you ( politely ) not to post about something that you seem to know little about compared to many other users here whom never seem to have the problems you have.

i have same card with yours, and it works like yours, did you read my post clearly? sapphire dual x work with all three ports: dvi, hdmi, and DisplayPort, but the second dvi doesn't work? where am I wrong?
[doublepost=1544379756][/doublepost]
parisinvest

I didn't say I know much, but I've tested them all by myself, and I can send your the rom made by netkas script, the results are there, I am trying to help here, and I haven't seen anyone did this comparation here, I'm a person who search the fact, and simple fact, and I believe there are people like me who want to know it

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
As the thread starter, you can edit the topic text - in particular to fix that unfortunate typo.

At the top right of post #1 there's a gear icon the leads to the edit dialog.

Last edited:
Reactions: ActionableMango

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I've one in my studio, I've flashed its' three version of rom of this card, and no one can start Mac Pro without problem fan, did you try yourself? if yes could you put the efi rom here to see please? thank you

we are talking about netkas script, xfx is known doesn't work with netkas, it will not make xfx efi rom, so did you flash your card yourself? where did you find your rom please?

i have same card with yours, and it works like yours, did you read my post clearly? sapphire dual x work with all three ports: dvi, hdmi, and DisplayPort, but the second dvi doesn't work? where am I wrong?

I didn't say I know much, but I've tested them all by myself, and I can send your the rom made by netkas script, the results are there, I am trying to help here, and I haven't seen anyone did this comparation here, I'm a person who search the fact, and simple fact, and I believe there are people like me who want to know it

I tried to help you before, but you do a lot of wrong assumptions and you don't have the basic knowledge needed to do it.

Now you are just making noise and people who have the knowledge will not help you with this attitude - at least I won't.

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong

You can’t make it work doesn’t mean the card doesn’t work. Both MIKX and me has the same card. Both of us can make it work (including the old days resistor mod), and sorry, I won’t upload the ROM here for you to sell the cards that you don’t even know how to make it work by yourself.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
I tried to help you before, but you do a lot of wrong assumptions and you don't have the basic knowledge needed to do it.

Now you are just making noise and people who have the knowledge will not help you with this attitude - at least I won't.

hi Alex, thank you for your message, I did get it what I did anything wrong? I ask some problem I've met just like others here, maybe once a week, is it noise? I put the result of my test for to help people who has the same requests, with my own expérience, is it wrong? so please tell me where is my wrong attitude you found? so that I can correct it?
[doublepost=1544388324][/doublepost]
You can’t make it work doesn’t mean the card doesn’t work. Both MIKX and me has the same card. Both of us can make it work (including the old days resistor mod), and sorry, I won’t upload the ROM here for you to sell the cards that you don’t even know how to make it work by yourself.

you said I'm wrong, and you said you use other way to make cards work, that's not my point, my point is on the title, using netkas script, so basicly you cant make it work by using only this script, but not all are like you un expert, people here I saw they are more than half are like me the starter, they cant use your way to make efi roms, so I provide this simple list to be away fo wasting time to test themselves, where am I wrong please?
btw i don't need your rom, I need your proof if you say I'm wrong, we know that even on the same model the rom will no work one on another on amd cards, so please don't be so inraisonnalbe, I'm not bad guy, just like another member want to study together
[doublepost=1544390840][/doublepost]
parisinvest

did you see florien's note? he said de same result as I did, and he was trying to solve the problem of dvi and hdmi dead port, by editing the rom, but did not succeed, but you people said yes, and few give a **** to explain, so instead of waiting for someone help here, I bought a lot of card to test, and I make the proof myself, I clearly said on this share, all are my own expérience, for someone who needs, I did not say I am all right, so I ask people who find the error post correction, I'm not like you say that experienced with great knowledge, but if knowledge is using only to say to new member you are nothing, you will never under anything as we pro do, ..... stop asking, stop posting useless, I will never teach you, .... at least this is what I understand from your message, I need to shut up on this topic, is that what you want ?

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
hi Alex, thank you for your message, I did get it what I did anything wrong? I ask some problem I've met just like others here, maybe once a week, is it noise? I put the result of my test for to help people who has the same requests, with my own expérience, is it wrong? so please tell me where is my wrong attitude you found? so that I can correct it?
[doublepost=1544388324][/doublepost]

you said I'm wrong, and you said you use other way to make cards work, that's not my point, my point is on the title, using netkas script, so basicly you cant make it work by using only this script, but not all are like you un expert, people here I saw they are more than half are like me the starter, they cant use your way to make efi roms, so I provide this simple list to be away fo wasting time to test themselves, where am I wrong please?
btw i don't need your rom, I need your proof if you say I'm wrong, we know that even on the same model the rom will no work one on another on amd cards, so please don't be so inraisonnalbe, I'm not bad guy, just like another member want to study together
[doublepost=1544390840][/doublepost]

did you see florien's note? he said de same result as I did, and he was trying to solve the problem of dvi and hdmi dead port, by editing the rom, but did not succeed, but you people said yes, and few give a **** to explain, so instead of waiting for someone help here, I bought a lot of card to test, and I make the proof myself, I clearly said on this share, all are my own expérience, for someone who needs, I did not say I am all right, so I ask people who find the error post correction, I'm not like you say that experienced with great knowledge, but if knowledge is using only to say to new member you are nothing, you will never under anything as we pro do, ..... stop asking, stop posting useless, I will never teach you, .... at least this is what I understand from your message, I need to shut up on this topic, is that what you want ?

I am sorry to tell you that you just show us how bad your knowledge about the 7xxxx card flashing. You can’t even understand what I said which is particularly for this card.

Both MIKX and me use the Netkas script to make the ROM for this card work with boot screen and no fan issue. Understand? Relevant now?

I just told you even the resistor mod can work, but not make the card work by resistor mod.

No one stop you to learn, I am more than happy that you are willing to learn, and actually put effort to learn. But please stop spreading wrong info before you really know what it is.

Your info is often too rough, or inaccurate.

All MIKX, crjackson2134, and me just try to point out the mistake. If you just share good useful info. I will say "thank you" or stay silent. But you are not. Therefore, I speak up to correct the mistake that I can spotted.

And what's wrong with you? I am sorry to say that, your attitude.

If you don't change your attitude (I am not talking about "arguing" etc, but "how careful you are during this learning process"), you are not only wasting your time, but may also mislead others to the wrong way.

I hope you know, even though you are not a bad guy, but you are doing bad thing. Giving out inaccurate info isn't that good, no matter how good your intention is.

I appreciate your time and effort, and willing to share. And I can see that you learn quick. From memory, few weeks ago, you can't even use the script. And now, you can use the script, flash the cards, and test them. However, your fundamental knowledge is still not there yet.

I am nowhere near expert, but I can see even Netkas, tsialex, Fl0rian... are learning humbly everyday. This is the attitude I am talking about. The more you know, the more you want to know, and the more accurate you want to know. And the more careful you speak.

Reactions: MIKX

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
I am sorry to tell you that you just show us how bad your knowledge about the 7xxxx card flashing. You can’t even understand what I said which is particularly for this card.

Both MIKX and me use the Netkas script to make the ROM for this card work with boot screen and no fan issue. Understand? Relevant now?

I just told you even the resistor mod can work, but not make the card work by resistor mod.

No one stop you to learn, I am more than happy that you are willing to learn, and actually put effort to learn. But please stop spreading wrong info before you really know what it is.

Your info is often too rough, or inaccurate.

All MIKX, crjackson2134, and me just try to point out the mistake. If you just share good useful info. I will say "thank you" or stay silent. But you are not. Therefore, I speak up to correct the mistake that I can spotted.

And what's wrong with you? I am sorry to say that, your attitude.

If you don't change your attitude (I am not talking about "arguing" etc, but "how careful you are during this learning process"), you are not only wasting your time, but may also mislead others to the wrong way.

I hope you know, even though you are not a bad guy, but you are doing bad thing. Giving out inaccurate info isn't that good, no matter how good your intention is.

I appreciate your time and effort, and willing to share. And I can see that you learn quick. From memory, few weeks ago, you can't even use the script. And now, you can use the script, flash the cards, and test them. However, your fundamental knowledge is still not there yet.

I am nowhere near expert, but I can see even Netkas, tsialex, Fl0rian... are learning humbly every day. This is the attitude I am talking about. The more you know, the more you want to know, and the more accurate you want to know. And the more careful you speak.

hi h9826790, sorry i don't know your first name, i thank you for your words, and explanation, i really appreciate it, i know your guys are maybe using the part-time to feed this forum for us all, i thank you for your time, you see i did want to say: "hi this is the final results, and i'm 100% sure that's right!", this topic is only for the first stone, and you are all welcome to point my mistake of course, that's the whole point i start to do this, you may misunderstand my willing, i saw you are from hong kong, and i start to think about maybe we just has different mentality of seeing things: you want to see things like English way, but i see in French way, including "attitude" maybe, if i were you, i would say only: hi my his 7XXX has no problem no issue after flashed via netkas script, then i will leave me to study again or even all over from beginning, i mean you guys are more like teachers here, but teachers don't speak to their students in your way, can you understand it? you see that's our difference, but nothing grave, this is only a little argument on little thing, people are not that wick here, if i can learn, they can do too, and if they don't make mistake, they can't learn either, in fact every people went through this period time from the beginning, no one was born to know all these stuffs, so i think you don't need to worry about the others, as parents do, parents want children passe a good life without any difficulty, but nobody succeed, this is life, am i right? of course i will pay attention not to fall someone new to wrong way, but i think my experience here is to avoid the complicated cases, it means if we have different experience on the same card, so that is an alert for people to not pick up this card to use, but take the card proved by everybody, there is always things on world has two sides, but we can choose other has only one side, then there will be no more problem, i have my personal choice, you have yours, that's why god made us different, to make this world more colorful more beautiful, you may not agree with me, that's your rights, but i hava mine, and others has theirs, even their right to make mistake, life without mistake is a boring one, like eat without salt, you can dislike someone, but c'est la vie. i'm me, simple and say everything directly without hiding, even for my little business, i'm not shy to say it out, i've already served thousands of people and they are happy to have my advice and my equipment, with lower price, if i have market, it means people needs me, you see my flashed card expérience is limited, but i've 20 years technician experience, pc and mac, i repair pc and macs, imac, mac pro, macbook pro, i would like to share experience working on first field, but not on therapy, you guys may have much better experience on that, so please go on at pointing my mistake, but please note that i mean only based on study the truth, no personal point of view on other members caractors, that's all i ask. thank you so much, if you guys come to Paris, i've like to invite you french repas, have a good day you all.

Last edited:

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
updated club 3D, XFX 7970, and number of monitors can be connected at the same time

Last edited:

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
My Sapphire Dual-X 7970 outputs video to ALL ports too.

The 7950 has TWO DVI ports . . .ONLY ONE works on ALL 7950s after flashing - this is normal.

Pval

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2008
Holland
I don’t understand how you can discuss this without even mentioning framebuffer personalities.
That said, look for reference models of these cards, not the tricked out OC, hyper/vapor models. If you’re looking for a smooth ride.

Still, why not just get a gt-120 for when you need bootscreens and something new for the gui, I mean these cards are 7 and 5 years old. Bear in mind using a gt-120 with a RX580 may cause problems, so remove the card if you don't need bootscreens.

Last edited:

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
I don’t understand how you can discuss this without even mentioning framebuffer personalities.
That said, look for reference models of these cards, not the tricked out OC, hyper/vapor models. If you’re looking for a smooth ride.

Still, why not just get a gt-120 for bootscreens and something new for the gui, I mean these cards are 7 and 5 years old.

GT120 + RX580 etc may cause display driver failure on latest OS

Reactions: Synchro3 and MIKX

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
Yeah, ok, but I don't need bootscreens all the time. My gt-120's are in a cupboard, until I need them. The power draw is only 15watt or so, but I run them 24/7, so I just removed the cards until something comes up and I need bootscreens, which I don't need for recovery mode, so it's been months since I had one installed. But I digress...

Of course you can do that, but you did't say that in your last post. And the others may believe you suggest them use GT120 + another GPU together.

parisinvest

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2017
Paris
UPDATE
XFX 280X BLACK COLOR DUAL FANS, DVI+HDMI+2XMINI DP, DOESN'T WORK AT ALL
THE DIFFERENT SERIAL NUMBER OF THIS MODEL AND LABLE COULD HAVE DIFFERENT RESULTS, DONT BUY IT ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHICH NUMBER WORKS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.