Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I’ve been trying to decide between two keyboards for my 11” M1 iPad Pro: Brydge‘s newest offering, the Brydge MAX+, and Apple’s Magic Keyboard (MKB). Posting some thoughts here in case other folks are trying to decide as well, as there’s not a ton of info about the newest Brydge model.

At first I bought Apple’s Magic Keyboard. Having previously had the MKB for the 12.9” I knew what to expect, and since it’s a fairly popular accessory I won’t spend too much time on it here. Suffice it to say it’s a very good keyboard/case combo. Some negatives: The trackpad is a little small (but works perfectly.) No function row. A bit unstable compared to a laptop. Very expensive. With those issues in mind I bought the Brydge, which was on sale for $160. After using it for a few weeks here’s a pro/con rundown:

Pro:
-Much more palatable price, especially on sale
-A very ‘laptop like’ experience, if that’s what you’re going for
-Function keys
-Nice sized trackpad
-Backlit keys

Con:
-Adds quite a bit of weight and thickness
-Does take a beat to wake up
-Typing is decent but keys feel a bit cheap (rest of the unit is fairly premium)
-Slightly annoying to get the iPad on and off
-Cursor ‘jumps’ when typing

The last con—the trackpad causing the pointer to move around—is personally my biggest issue and may be the reason I return the Brydge. I read a lot of reviews, many which mentioned the gestures as being an issue. At least with the latest firmware that’s not a problem for me, as the gestures work almost as well as those on MKB. (They’re not quite as good, and a few keyboard shortcuts are missing as well.) However, this cursor-jumping issue—which is very noticeable when typing a lot—is driving me crazy. Big disclaimer: I do think it’s technically my fault, as I’m probably making contact with the trackpad as I type. However, it happens even when I’m being careful, and almost never happens on the MKB no matter how quickly I fly around the board.

The Bluetooth isn’t an issue, despite that slight delay I mentioned when coming back to the machine. Initial pairing took a couple tries, and the firmware update process is a bit annoying. Those are seldom-performed tasks, though, and it’s otherwise a very solid connection. One other item I’ll mention is the hinge, which feels very solid. Some folks have mentioned broken hinges; not sure if these newer models have an improved design, but in any event I haven’t noticed anything concerning. If it does snap apart I’ll try to remember to update this post.

If you’re shopping for keyboards I hope this helps! It may not, since even I don’t know what I’m ultimately going to do, but maybe these thoughts will be of use. If you have any questions please let me know ?

Reactions: jazz1

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I’ve been trying to decide between two keyboards for my 11” M1 iPad Pro: Brydge‘s newest offering, the Brydge MAX+, and Apple’s Magic Keyboard (MKB). Posting some thoughts here in case other folks are trying to decide as well, as there’s not a ton of info about the newest Brydge model.

At first I bought Apple’s Magic Keyboard. Having previously had the MKB for the 12.9” I knew what to expect, and since it’s a fairly popular accessory I won’t spend too much time on it here. Suffice it to say it’s a very good keyboard/case combo. Some negatives: The trackpad is a little small (but works perfectly.) No function row. A bit unstable compared to a laptop. Very expensive. With those issues in mind I bought the Brydge, which was on sale for $160. After using it for a few weeks here’s a pro/con rundown:

Pro:
-Much more palatable price, especially on sale
-A very ‘laptop like’ experience, if that’s what you’re going for
-Function keys
-Nice sized trackpad
-Backlit keys

Con:
-Adds quite a bit of weight and thickness
-Does take a beat to wake up
-Typing is decent but keys feel a bit cheap (rest of the unit is fairly premium)
-Slightly annoying to get the iPad on and off
-Cursor ‘jumps’ when typing

The last con—the trackpad causing the pointer to move around—is personally my biggest issue and may be the reason I return the Brydge. I read a lot of reviews, many which mentioned the gestures as being an issue. At least with the latest firmware that’s not a problem for me, as the gestures work almost as well as those on MKB. (They’re not quite as good, and a few keyboard shortcuts are missing as well.) However, this cursor-jumping issue—which is very noticeable when typing a lot—is driving me crazy. Big disclaimer: I do think it’s technically my fault, as I’m probably making contact with the trackpad as I type. However, it happens even when I’m being careful, and almost never happens on the MKB no matter how quickly I fly around the board.

The Bluetooth isn’t an issue, despite that slight delay I mentioned when coming back to the machine. Initial pairing took a couple tries, and the firmware update process is a bit annoying. Those are seldom-performed tasks, though, and it’s otherwise a very solid connection. One other item I’ll mention is the hinge, which feels very solid. Some folks have mentioned broken hinges; not sure if these newer models have an improved design, but in any event I haven’t noticed anything concerning. If it does snap apart I’ll try to remember to update this post.

If you’re shopping for keyboards I hope this helps! It may not, since even I don’t know what I’m ultimately going to do, but maybe these thoughts will be of use. If you have any questions please let me know ?
I think you are spot on with your review. I had one, and returned it. I too was going after the "laptop" like experience, but the cons did outweigh the benefits. I did not think the trackpad had a good tactile feel to it, and there was a lag in typing that I have not experienced in any BT keyboard I've used.

I now have the Logitech Combo for my 2021 iPP. I do favor it over the Brydge. Though it of course is not perfect. It takes up more desk space due to the back flap hinge arrangement.

I do have a 2020 Apple Magic Keyboard. Frankly speaking if the MK had a bigger trackpad, the MK would be my preference. But, I would miss the function key of the Logi Combo. I hope Apple updates/upgrade the next MK.

Last edited:
Reactions: EastHillWill

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I think you are spot on with your review. I had one, and returned it. I too was going after the "laptop" like experience, but the cons did outweigh the benefits. I did not think the trackpad had a good tactile feel to it, and there was a lag in typing that I have not experienced in any BT keyboard I've used.

I now have the Logitech Combo for my 2021 iPP. I do favor it over the Brydge. Though it of course is not perfect. It take up more desk space due to the back hinge arrangement.

I do have a 2020 Apple Magic Keyboard. Frankly speaking if the MK had a bigger trackpad, the MK would be my preference. But, I would miss the function key of the Logi Combo. I hope Apple updates/upgrade the next MK.
Yep, that all sounds about right! I agree, hopefully we have some updated MKBs in our future. A new model with function keys and a bigger trackpad would be sweet, although the current design of course limits the available vertical space. This dual-hinge design is nice, but if they did something more similar to the Brydge there would be room to make a pretty sweet keyboard.

Reactions: jazz1

Chargr

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Been using the logi combo and so far so good. Only downside is I can’t type on the iPad when it sits on my lap and it is a bit heavy. Although the Ipad is protected better.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Been using the logi combo and so far so good. Only downside is I can’t type on the iPad when it sits on my lap and it is a bit heavy. Although the Ipad is protected better.
For lap use, on a couch I use one of those portable laptop lap desks. It is barely able to accommodate the Combo. But it works.

Note I did have to put some rubber mat down so the folding support flap doesn't slip off the back (while using the Combo with keyboard attached). It is a tight fit with an inch to spare, but I don't think I want anything larger on my lap.

I hate to say it, but I'd probably slap on my 2020 MK on my 2021 iPP 12.9" for airline tray/ travel. As you never know what to expect.

Oh, the things we do to accommodate issues with design :p

Last edited:

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
For lap use, on a couch I use one of those portable laptop lap desks. It is barely able to accommodate the Combo. But it works.
I use one as well with my 12.9 iPP and MKB. Overall after looking at all the alternatives to the MKB - Brydge, Logitech, etc. - and not focusing on one specific thing such as function keys, the MKB really is the superior choice. Far more versatility in more locations - lap, in bed propped up on a pillow, small table surface on a plane or in a coffee shop. The things that it lacks - function keys, bigger trackpad, etc. - fade in importance when you take into account the totality of usage it will be put to. To be honest I have the Smart Keyboard Folio that I will use when going to a location that has good overhead lighting. In my house or a dimmer location those backlit keys are invaluable. The compactness of both devices make them so convenient to take with you and use. Being able to pop the iPP off either one in just a second with little effort and either use it naked or on the other keyboard make these a joy. If I could only have one it would be the MKB. If I mostly used my iPP on a large desk the Logitech would be of great interest, it’s a terrific product. But that’s rarely my use case.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Some days I wonder why I just don't get a Macbook in addition to my iPP ;)
I have an older (2013) MacBook Pro. I use it about once a week, just to back up my iPP and phone. The iPP does everything else. I used to run into a few things that couldn’t be done on an ipad and have to pull out the laptop. Haven’t had that problem in a long time now. I see a laptop as primarily a backup device to the ipad now.

Reactions: Isamilis and jazz1

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have tested out 3 keyboards and so far only like 2 and have a hard time choosing between the 2. I tested a MKB but did not like it because of not having the function keys, so it’s either going to be returned for a refund or someone will potentially going buy it. The Brydge+ Max keyboard is perfect, except the trackpad is huge and make my arms tired more when typing, and the pointer keep jumping around when I’m typing and it is annoying. The Typecase Edge keyboard that I’m also testing out is perfect except for the pointer also keep jumping around, and the trackpad on The Typecase Edge is smaller. I’m giving myself 2 weeks to make a decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.