Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Had to send in my brand new M1 Max MacBook Pro for repair because the bottom case was warped and creaky. Went to the repair centre in Tennessee and came back with scuffs on the unit that weren’t there before. So back it went, also to Tennessee, and came back with different scuffs that weren’t there before. So now the Apple Store is going to overnight the parts in from another store and repair it in the store instead of sending it out.

I looked up the address on the repair form and it’s Flextronics in Memphis. It’s an “Authorised Repair Centre” so it ain’t even Apple themselves.

Wondering if anyone here also got scuffed by Tennessee so that collective action and testimonies can be raised and something be done about it.

• Wow
Reactions: sorgo †

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I'm not surprised the third-party stores aren't doing their job. In the past, I had my Xs Max sent out for repair (screen replacement for $29 AC+), and the third party declined the repair because of a dent that I could not find when the phone was returned. Somehow confused the AC+ worker (the phone was out of warranty then), and they just gave me a replacement.

smithdr

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2021
Tennessee does very poor job taking a care of equipment they are to be repairing. Sent my 2016 MBP16 there twice for a battery replacement. First time they made a small dent in the bottom case that fractured the anodizing. The second time they damaged the gasket that surrounds the display.

I always have a vinyl wrap on my computers to protect the surface. Both times they "scratched" off a portion of the wrap to reveal the serial number. No need to do this as the serial number is assigned to my AppleID.

The Tennessee Repair Depot are a bunch of hacks. I can not understand why Apple allows this to continue.

Don Barar

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple doesn't have any repair facilities themselves. Flextronics handles it all in the U.S. Blame it on lack of training.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Apple doesn't have any repair facilities themselves. Flextronics handles it all in the U.S. Blame it on lack of training.
Apple does, but prefers to use local Authorized Repair shops due to logistics and cost.

Furthermore, Apple Stores are known to do repairs for almost all devices, that your device stays within Apple depends on workload and part availability.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Flextronics is like Phobio but for repairs. I can’t wait for Apple to provide repair parts for Macs so I can do it myself. Ugh.

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
Filed a complaint with my state’s attorney general to see if that’ll help. I live in Washington; Bob Ferguson is an absolute chad.

Reactions: 88Keys

wry

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 25, 2020
That's exaggerating a bit isn't it? I mean, Apple did make you right and didn't charge you. Furthermore, they even took on themselves.
I am aware of that, but I made sure to specify Flextronics and their butchering of repair units in my complaint, not Apple.

Reactions: 88Keys
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.