Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Hi all this is my first proper time with a iOS device the 12 pro max as Iā€™m a android user for the past 13 years

but I cannot make my mind up as iOS seems to be locked down in the most simplest things unless Iā€™m doing things wrong for example

file transfer is just non existent (trying to use iTunes to transfer my videos from my previous devices and it doesnā€™t like half of the formats even though they are mp4)

and is they a similar app to cinema hd at all for iOS

and is the A14 Bionic chip as good as the new exynos and snapdragon?

and the cameras,speakers,display, ect

is iOS ahead of most android phones in terms of quality of apps ect

I have the note 20 ultra exynos but the battery life was a problem I also had the Lenovo leigen dual 2 briefly but software was a nightmare

my other options are one plus 9 pro,s21 ultra,Xperia 1mk3 when released lol

im also looking for the best smartwatch would you guys say Apple Watch is the best

thanks for any info

zakarhino

Contributor
Sep 13, 2014
The Apple Watch is the best smart watch I'm aware of if you're looking for a general purpose smart watch. If you're just interesting in detailed fitness tracking then I reckon there are other better alternatives out there. The Apple Watch's fitness and health features are best in class for casual tracking IMO.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Regarding the mp4 files: Android uses some codecs that are not supported by iOS. There is software available that can convert your media files into formats compatible with iOS. Not all mp4 files are the same unfortunately.

The Apple Watch Series 6 is excellent. Don't bother with the SE or any older generation.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Preference is up to each user, same in the computer world. Some people will only use a Windows PCs and others (the unquestionable minority) prefer to use a Mac. Same with iOS. Some people like it, lots of people don't.
Its up to you.

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Regarding the mp4 files: Android uses some codecs that are not supported by iOS. There is software available that can convert your media files into formats compatible with iOS. Not all mp4 files are the same unfortunately.

The Apple Watch Series 6 is excellent. Don't bother with the SE or any older generation.
Thanks all for the comments do you know if there is a easy way to change the codecs or what software to use as Iā€™ve tried a few and they either convert the video into less quality of have restrictions ect

thanks

also sounds safe but whatā€™s the best way to make a custom ringtone as I cannot just set one like on android lol

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks all for the comments do you know if there is a easy way to change the codecs or what software to use as Iā€™ve tried a few and they either convert the video into less quality of have restrictions ect

thanks

also sounds safe but whatā€™s the best way to make a custom ringtone as I cannot just set one like on android lol
You're always going to lose quality converting. As you are taking compressed video and compressing it again in another format.

Bumping up quality settings will reduce the loss but increase the size. It would be better to do again from the original source.

Handbrake is probably the best free option.

DVDfab is nice for paid. I think they have a different product for changing formats. My ripping was done for DVD and Blu Ray for use on my server. Haven't tried the phone options. As I don't watch video on a phone.

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
file transfer is just non existent (trying to use iTunes to transfer my videos from my previous devices and it doesnā€™t like half of the formats even though they are mp4)

VLC

Kodi addons. You can install Kodi by downloading Sideloadly and the Kodi 19 IPA can be found online. Look up a guide for Kodi addons and youā€™ll figure it out. Sideloaded apps have to be re-signed every 7 days unless you pay the $99 for a dev certificate but Sideloadly makes that easy.

Depends on the benchmark but theyā€™re close enough for it not to really matter. Phones are way more powerful than they need to be these days. Anything from the A12 on should be extremely capable.

I havenā€™t used a modern Android flagship but Iā€™m happy with all these things on my iPhone. I have an LG G8 and all three of those things are terrible to the point Iā€™m glad itā€™s only a phone I got to have a modern Android device for the few apps and games that donā€™t have iOS versions.

Most apps that I have used on iOS are noticeably more polished than the same app on Android. Even Googleā€™s apps work better on iOS than they do on Android.

I have the note 20 ultra exynos but the battery life was a problem I also had the Lenovo leigen dual 2 briefly but software was a nightmare

Out of that list the only device I would even entertain would be the Xperia but the price tag is ridiculous for whatā€™s on offer IMO and Iā€™m afraid Sonyā€™s mobile division may be the next LG.

im also looking for the best smartwatch would you guys say Apple Watch is the best

I have never used one but everyone I have ever talked to has praised the Apple Watch compared to Android Wear.

Reactions: Brockyneo

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
VLC

Kodi addons. You can install Kodi by downloading Sideloadly and the Kodi 19 IPA can be found online. Look up a guide for Kodi addons and youā€™ll figure it out. Sideloaded apps have to be re-signed every 7 days unless you pay the $99 for a dev certificate but Sideloadly makes that easy.

Depends on the benchmark but theyā€™re close enough for it not to really matter. Phones are way more powerful than they need to be these days. Anything from the A12 on should be extremely capable.

I havenā€™t used a modern Android flagship but Iā€™m happy with all these things on my iPhone. I have an LG G8 and all three of those things are terrible to the point Iā€™m glad itā€™s only a phone I got to have a modern Android device for the few apps and games that donā€™t have iOS versions.

Most apps that I have used on iOS are noticeably more polished than the same app on Android. Even Googleā€™s apps work better on iOS than they do on Android.

Out of that list the only device I would even entertain would be the Xperia but the price tag is ridiculous for whatā€™s on offer IMO and Iā€™m afraid Sonyā€™s mobile division may be the next LG.

I have never used one but everyone I have ever talked to has praised the Apple Watch compared to Android Wear.
Thanks for all the replyā€™s just a question the vcl player is they away of getting the videos onto the iPhone in the first place so I donā€™t have to convert them

thanks

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Thanks for all the replyā€™s just a question the vcl player is they away of getting the videos onto the iPhone in the first place so I donā€™t have to convert them

thanks

Open VLC, go to Network, turn on Sharing via WiFi, go to the address it gives you on your desktop browser and upload the files from there.

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
Open VLC, go to Network, turn on Sharing via WiFi, go to the address it gives you on your desktop browser and upload the files from there.
Thanks Iā€™ll give it a try now Iā€™m assuming they will be uploaded in original quality ect

thanks again

Reactions: Ethrem

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Thanks Iā€™ll give it a try now Iā€™m assuming they will be uploaded in original quality ect

thanks again

As far as I can tell itā€™s the original. The WiFi server just gets around the need to use iTunes because Apple allows apps to directly download into their own sandboxes. Same reason why some emulators have built in web browsers for easy ROM downloads. I even uploaded a video I have in Files to VLC that way.

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
As far as I can tell itā€™s the original. The WiFi server just gets around the need to use iTunes because Apple allows apps to directly download into their own sandboxes. Same reason why some emulators have built in web browsers for easy ROM downloads. I even uploaded a video I have in Files to VLC that way.
Thanks just tested it and works great Iā€™ll send all my videos this way and just use iTunes for my pics and music lol

thanks again

Reactions: Ethrem

Ethrem

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Thanks just tested it and works great Iā€™ll send all my videos this way and just use iTunes for my pics and music lol

thanks again

No problem. Itā€™s funny, I actually had never tested that feature before until I suggested VLC to you and then downloaded it again myself but Iā€™ll keep it because I like to listen to 5+ hour DJ podcasts and when I listen to the MP3 in Files, it loses my position if I close out of it, but I noticed that VLC saves the position even if I force close it which is extremely convenient. So yeah, thanks for getting me to give VLC another look myself lol

Brockyneo

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 4, 2018
No problem. Itā€™s funny, I actually had never tested that feature before until I suggested VLC to you and then downloaded it again myself but Iā€™ll keep it because I like to listen to 5+ hour DJ podcasts and when I listen to the MP3 in Files, it loses my position if I close out of it, but I noticed that VLC saves the position even if I force close it which is extremely convenient. So yeah, thanks for getting me to give VLC another look myself lol
Lol Iā€™m glad I helped even though I didnā€™t haha ?

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
Hi all this is my first proper time with a iOS device the 12 pro max as Iā€™m a android user for the past 13 years

but I cannot make my mind up as iOS seems to be locked down in the most simplest things unless Iā€™m doing things wrong for example

thanks for any info
I canā€™t speak for file transfer unless you give a few more details.

I donā€™t know what that app is, but you can probably find an app that does something similar.

Yes. Apple advertises it as the fastest smartphone chip in the world, and the benchmarks support that.

Camera-wise itā€™s close enough to Samsung/Google/Other industry leaders that for the average person it doesnā€™t matter. There are benefits to the iPhone and benefits to the others. Speakers are about the same with any flagship phone. Display is technically better on Samsung, but when it comes to actual experience I see no major differences.

iOS quality of apps is absolutely fantastic and beats Android by leagues.

In my experience, the Apple Watch is by far the best smartwatch in the world.

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
"file transfer is just non existent (trying to use iTunes to transfer my videos from my previous devices and it doesnā€™t like half of the formats even though they are mp4)"

Apple have the app "Files" to manage files. You have to use iTunes to transfer files into a folder of a specific app. So click on your phone in iTunes, go to File Sharing.

I use the app "zFuse" to play videos, so put my videos into that app.
"Onkyo HF Player" can play FLAC.

"and is the A14 Bionic chip as good as the new exynos and snapdragon?"

I don't play games on phones anymore, but Apple chip is pretty much top of the line these days in term of power and efficiency, you are going to have a great experience in term of smoothness on any new iPhones.

"and the cameras,speakers,display, ect"

They are all superb really, and all of the newest iPhones use OLED display now.

"is iOS ahead of most android phones in terms of quality of apps ect"

Quality wise they are mostly better. But of course there are certain freedom and extra things you can do with Android apps that iOS don't allow (unless you jailbreak).

Last edited:

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

thanks for any info
For videos, forget iTunes. Like another poster here said, just download VLC. VLC on iOS will allow you to simply transfer your files via wifi from a browser, just drag and drop. VLC will set up a "server" on your phone with a local IP address. You'll just go to your PC and access that IP from any browser. There, you can just drag-n-drop your videos and it will transfer them via wifi to your iPhone. Simple, and VLC supports almost any kind of video files. I have no problems playing mkv files with subtitles.

A14 on paper is better than any Exynos/Snapdragon. Day-to-day, you won't notice much of a difference. On games, the A14 would still be better imo than Exynos/Snapdragon. Camera, speaker, and display quality of iPhones are as good as Android flagships.

Exynos 990 on the Note 20 is not that good, from what I read. It's not even a match with the regular Snapdragon 865. Exynos is only making a comeback from the Exynos 2100 on the S21 series.

If you want to upgrade your Note, the first question is, do you use the s-pen. If you do, your choice is very limited, only the S21 Ultra (and you have to buy the s-pen separately) and the upcoming Galaxy Fold 3 (again, s-pen sold separately). I wouldn't bother with OnePlus nor Sony as their software update track record is not as good as Samsung.

For a smartwatch, if you want to stay on Android, wait for the Galaxy Watch 4.

jennachaplin

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2021
Belleville, Ontario, Canada
Pleased to find a recent discussion relating to VLC on iPhone. I just installed it but when I use the network connection to connect to my MacBook via wi-fi it goes to an 'SMBv1 Authentication required' panel and the correct user + password for my Mac does not work and there is no url generated in the browser on my Mac. Also, a comment about Onkyo HF: if you have auto-lock then once the iPhone is locked the HF app will stop playing once it's finished the current track and not continue. Kind of a nuisance to have to keep turning auto-lock on and off. Any advice or assistance would be much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.