Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lamegamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Heya. I have lots of questions but I'll try to keep them clear and this post short. I REALLY appreciate anyone willing to give advice.

I'm a PC user, new to Macs, and I'm about to buy a Mac Pro. Here is the equipment I need to chain up to my computer:

A Yamaha EX5 keyboard (which I'll be using strictly as a midi controller)
Pioneer DJM 300-S mixer (with my two Technics turntables)

I'm considering buying a M-Audio FireWire 410 Audio Interface ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWire410-main.html ) to use to connect all of that to my computer.

For speakers, I'm looking at a set of M-Audio BX5a ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5a-main.html ) and, because I've heard those have overpowering high ends, a SBX Subwoofer ( http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/studiophile-sbx.html ).

I'll be using Logic, Reason, Garage Band, etc. to do my sequencing and composition. 95% of the time I'll be using this system to create music or record vinyl. Ocasionally, I may be recording live instruments with a mic or guitar thru the XLR imputs.
Okay, so now the questions. I know turntables, I know computers, I know music... But I don't know jack about Macs, external sound cards, or speakers in general:

1. Can I hook those speakers directly to the FireWire 410? If so, how do you hook all three up b/c I see the "direct outputs" on the back, but how do you determine which speakers get hooked where? Or, do you just hook the subwoofer up and then the two monitors get hooked to the sub?
2. Am I able to hook my turntable mixer up to the FireWire 410 so I can record my vinyl mixes?
3. Does this look like a good setup overall or should I go for something like a set of 5.1 logitech speakers which look like you can hook them optically to the FireWire 410?

I really appreciate any and all responses and help that people can give me. Thanks a bunch! :)

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
Yes you can hook those speaker directly to the firewire 410. Yes you want to hook up the satelite speakers throught the sub.

Yes, I think you can hook up your DJM to the Firewire 410.

Will you be mixing surround sound, if not then you probably wont need it.

And finally I am not sure if the sub goes well with the speakers, you'd have to tried it.

ps sorry if this post seems to direct, i am in a hurry, bye

lamegamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Mydriasis said:
ps sorry if this post seems to direct, i am in a hurry, bye

Not too direct at all! :) I appreciate your and others imput. And no, I don't think I'll be mixing in surround.

I guess i've never realized that you hook your R/L speakers to the sub. So that means I would just be using a single phono jack "output" on the back of the FireWire 410?

Oh, and dumb question. If I plug the sub/speakers into just one output on the back of the FireWire 410, how is it that it comes out in stereo? (boy I feel stupid lol)

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
lamegamer said:
Oh, and dumb question. If I plug the sub/speakers into just one output on the back of the FireWire 410, how is it that it comes out in stereo? (boy I feel stupid lol)
You use two plugs, out1 and out2 are a pair...here I got this from the user manual:

20. LINE OUTPUTS 1 – 8 – These are unbalanced analog outputs on standard 1/4” TS connectors at 10dB line level. These outputs will
support standard two-channel stereo, as well as surround modes up to 7.1. (Your audio software must support multiple surround outputs.)
When monitoring two-channel stereo program, outputs 1 and 2 are the default outputs; any or all output pairs may be selected in the
FireWire 410’s control panel. You may also use the eight outputs to send individual or grouped channels to a mixing console.

And your sub has a right and left input, take a look at the picture. :)

lamegamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Mydriasis said:
And your sub has a right and left input, take a look at the picture. :)

! I'm having a "duh" moment... Thanks so much for your help! :)

Retired
May 16, 2006
Congratulations; not only have you made a good decision to switch (with your seemingly amazing amount of cash), but you are one of only a few windows-using advice-seekers to make a clear and obvious, well written post. Carry on like this and you will have no problem. Good luck:)

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
lamegamer said:
M-Audio BX5a ( http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/StudiophileBX5a-main.html ) and, because I've heard those have overpowering high ends, a SBX Subwoofer ( http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/studiophile-sbx.html ).
monitors respond differently in different rooms. get them (or whichever pair you go with) into your room and see what you think before adding a sub to "correct" a high freq problem.

more than likely, even without a sub, you'll have low freq problems. you may want to consider adding some bass traps as a start to treating your room. all the expensive gear in the world won't make your efforts better if you can't hear what you're doing.

i have several of these panels from realtraps, but will soon be acquiring more panels from GIK acoustics. lovely things, those bass traps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.