Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
After advice from some experts as apple were pretty much useless. I got up this morning to find I had been logged out of icloud on my iphone, checked my email and discovered an email saying my password had been changed. I tried to log in and couldn't it had been changed. Contacted Apple who were useless as I say but I managed to recover my account.

No damage was done etc the worrying this is I have 2 factor turned on and they still managed to do this, no emails about a new device logging in etc which usually happens.

All this makes me think it was my daughter who some how did this, she came to me last night looking to buy a game on her ipad, I logged in on my itunes account and bought it. She is denying all.

I should add during the week, someone got into my amazon also, purchased amazon prime and subscribed to starz and mgm, again two factor was turned on and by passed.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Sounds like that particular iPad is set as trusted device and can receive 2FA notifications. I don’t use 2FA so don’t know how it works in practice. I’m concerned more about locking myself out of access than someone having access to my account.

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
Sounds like that particular iPad is set as trusted device and can receive 2FA notifications. I don’t use 2FA so don’t know how it works in practice. I’m concerned more about locking myself out of access than someone having access to my account.
I checked her ipad, its logged into her own icloud account and itunes store, I am baffled

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I checked her ipad, its logged into her own icloud account and itunes store, I am baffled
Too bad u cannot turn it off. I dont think Apple 2FA itself is compromised but the chance of inconvenience like this isn’t too low to me either.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I think you need to question your daughter further. I think she is behind this “caper.”

I am not aware of any Apple accounts that were hacked with 2FA turned on and trusted devices still in the possession of the rightful owner.

Reactions: Azzin

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
I think you need to question your daughter further. I think she is behind this “caper.”

I am not aware of any Apple accounts that were hacked with 2FA turned on and trusted devices still in the possession of the rightful owner.
I don't even know if she'd know how to do it, she's 7

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
Somehow your password is being accessed so as to say immediately change the password with good upper cases and numbers and get your accounts lined up together so you can have better control

My accounts have been hacked before and I learn to gather up all my accounts and set them up with better control password wise

Reactions: anonymousmoose

flygbuss

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2018
Stockholm, Sweden
I don't even know if she'd know how to do it, she's 7
Check your devices listed within iCloud and see if her iPad shows up there.
Once you sign in from a new device into your iCloud account, the device remains in that list even if signed off again.

You should have gotten a notification for 2FA access on your other device(s) though. Is there a chance she took one of your devices?

anonymousmoose

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2020
Maybe there is a virus or Trojan on your computer and they got your password from there? But that doesn't explain how they got the authentication code

dj1891

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 16, 2015
Northern Ireland
This was never resolved. I got so freaked out I deleted my iCloud account. No one can figure out how this happened. I changed emails and passwords on every account I own. Its put me off apple this to be honest. Two factor was on, this should not have happened. I only had 1 device under my account and it was my own.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.