Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
A magnetic back ONLY, for allowing someone that wants to keep the iPad in a natural state, but protects the back. Everything out there has edges covered or sleep/wake cover. For us that use sleeves, and zipper cases, the only thing that is exposed when using the iPad is the back when setting it down. Am I crazy? It’s ok to say yes...

A perfect example would be the Apple folio, minus the sleep/wake cover.

Reactions: jazz1

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
I liked Apple’s Smart Cover to protect the front personally, and always used a gelskin on the back. The skin was a bit for looks, but mostly I greatly preferred the extra gripiness it provided, along with not being cool to the touch in winter. https://www.gelaskins.com/ Not exactly what you are after, but thought I’d mention it.

Also, I’ve often wondered this about wooden table covers too. But if you are putting a 1 piece back cover on to protect the back...what are you protecting it against? Not solid drops/hits as you’d likely be worried about breakage of the screen too in this instance. Scratches? You want to keep the back looking really cool with no scratches....yet you never see that really cool back because it is always covered...

Not criticizing you, just trying to understand your use case. Like I said, I’ve seen people buy beautiful wood tables to only end up leaving covers on them 99% of the time. One woman I know spent $40k on a wood floor with intricate inlays only to cover up all but a foot around the perimeter with a rug. I’m sure I’m missing something, lol.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I would love to have just the magnetic back but half could bend out into a kickstand. I just want a surface pro kickstand on the iPad.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I liked Apple’s Smart Cover to protect the front personally, and always used a gelskin on the back. The skin was a bit for looks, but mostly I greatly preferred the extra gripiness it provided, along with not being cool to the touch in winter. https://www.gelaskins.com/ Not exactly what you are after, but thought I’d mention it.

Also, I’ve often wondered this about wooden table covers too. But if you are putting a 1 piece back cover on to protect the back...what are you protecting it against? Not solid drops/hits as you’d likely be worried about breakage of the screen too in this instance. Scratches? You want to keep the back looking really cool with no scratches....yet you never see that really cool back because it is always covered...

Not criticizing you, just trying to understand your use case. Like I said, I’ve seen people buy beautiful wood tables to only end up leaving covers on them 99% of the time. One woman I know spent $40k on a wood floor with intricate inlays only to cover up all but a foot around the perimeter with a rug. I’m sure I’m missing something, lol.

For me it’s a writing surface. And as a writing surface, with a lense that protrudes out, it’s not the most stable. I am not worried about drop damage as I carry it in the sleeve in my backpack if it goes anywhere.

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2007
You don’t need a magnetic back, just a metal plat. The iPad has magnets on the back, so you just need a uniform metal back plate that’s light. Or just cut your smart folio lol

Treebark

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
For me it’s a writing surface. And as a writing surface, with a lense that protrudes out, it’s not the most stable. I am not worried about drop damage as I carry it in the sleeve in my backpack if it goes anywhere.

That makes sense. I hadn’t noticed the camera bump much since I did go with the keyboard case. I do definitely notice that bump on my iPhone though when I set it down.

And I suppose adding some sort of bumpers to the other corners would both look bad and nearly impossible to make the same height.

If you find a solution I bet others would be in a similar boat.

BradWI

Suspended
Aug 29, 2011
Add me to the list. Thinking of getting an actual real leather skin for the back. Would add grip and would negate the camera bump because of the leather’s thickness.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Add me to the list. Thinking of getting an actual real leather skin for the back. Would add grip and would negate the camera bump because of the leather’s thickness.
I was contemplating how I could go about cutting a piece of wood and embedding magnets with rubber bump stops on the desktop side. If I cant find anything I might do this.

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
The Ztotop "case" I just got is exactly what some of you are describing. It's a magnetic back with a smart cover. No sides. No top or bottom. I've uploaded photos in another thread in this forum if anyone's interested.

chukwithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2008
Sacramento, CA
The Ztotop "case" I just got is exactly what some of you are describing. It's a magnetic back with a smart cover. No sides. No top or bottom. I've uploaded photos in another thread in this forum if anyone's interested.
Appreciate the info but we’re searching WITHOUT the sleep/wake screen protector. We want just the back.

BradWI

Suspended
Aug 29, 2011
Update:

Ordered an actual leather back skin from Jamie Clawson (https://jamieclawson.com/collections/ipad-pro) on the day he added the new iPPs.

Received it a few days ago and it’s perfect. Camera cutout is correct, the skin is pretty much exactly the same thickness as the camera bump and the edges of the skin are extremely soft so nothing to dig into your hands.

I did the basic black leather - some of the more exotic leathers might be different as far as thickness or edges.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Update:

Ordered an actual leather back skin from Jamie Clawson (https://jamieclawson.com/collections/ipad-pro) on the day he added the new iPPs.

Received it a few days ago and it’s perfect. Camera cutout is correct, the skin is pretty much exactly the same thickness as the camera bump and the edges of the skin are extremely soft so nothing to dig into your hands.

I did the basic black leather - some of the more exotic leathers might be different as far as thickness or edges.

Very nice. I’ll order when payday comes around. Thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.