Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yoshuey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Just curious whether this is possible - surely it can't be that hard to hack a iPhone 13 mini - and make it into a Pro - if not with the latest 15, then with the 14.

They key is to integrate the 3 lens camera.

Is this possible / realistic? Would make for interesting content - wonder if Jerry Rig or similar YouTuber would be up for trying this.

Especially now that the mini is getting retired for good.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
If it could be done I sure Apple probably has already done it in their labs. I am sure they found that with the marginal battery and the large power hungry cameras it was not feasible or would not make the development cost for such a product. I agree that the mini is a nice phone and my wife loves her but to make it a Mini Pro just does not make sense.

yoshuey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
yeh I know Apple won't do it... just thinking it'd be interesting to see someone hack / attempt to make one themselves on YouTube.

Always felt an iPhone Mini Pro would sell more vs iPhone mini - more of premium luxury item for people who own iPads or multiple devices already as opposed to the main consumption device. I still dont see why people would want a large iPhone IF they have an iPad.

I know iPhone mini didn't sell - but my feeling is Apple saw it as a device thats everyone will want - but if my only device is an iPhone - then I'd want the biggest screen despite it being awkward to handle or use with one hand.

Think it shows with Samsung and the rave reviews Galaxy Z fold, - a lot of people out there would love to have a premium device thats small.

Only reason I didn't buy iPhone mini was because it didn't have a pro camera.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
Well I have the iPhone 14 Pro. The main reason I have it is the 120 Hz screen as it is easier on my eyes than the annoying shutters that my wife's iPhone 13 mini has. I can say I had the issues with the 60Hz screens for years and it has got noticeable worse as I have cataracts developing (not bad enough to have corrected yet). I also have an issue that the dimmer the screen is the harder it is for me to read. I love the cameras that the Pro models have but it was secondary to the screen for me. I love the pictures that are sharp and oh so clear.

I actually think that if the iPhone Mini would have sold better if it had the 120 Hz screen but it really should be across the board and raise the price on the non pro models maybe by $40-$60. The smaller screens are also harder for folks with aging eyes like I have. I can see everything in my wife's iPhone but I would not want it long term as it is not bright enough and I almost automatically using my bifocals on the wife's phone and I do not have to on the Pro I have.

We all know Apple is a business and they want to suck all the money out of our pockets as quickly as they can.

yoshuey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
ah didn't realise different screen hz - personally not experienced the difference so I wouldn't know. understand about smaller screens. I'm probably in a small minority who use the iPhone for basic stuff and not consume content (use iPad / macbook for that. I get it from apples perspective - from a business POV - but I'd have no issue paying more for a small device despite the disadvantages.

I just find the big iPhones super annoying to handle and use one handed. Unfortunately I'm having to follow the crowd and go big screen.

The other thing is - if apple did an iPad mini with phone - I'd go for that over a mini. Anyway!

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Not even close to being possible. The logic board is where the third camera lens would be.

Premium consumers want a premium device. That means a large display. Nobody wants to use a small iPhone and carry an iPad. iPhone Pro Max serves as entertainment, credit card, and electronic car and house keys. The ultimate display of wealth is driving or walking down the street, carrying nothing but an iPhone.

Apple tried the small iPhone 5 + iPad strategy back in 2012. They pushed hard on the “one handed” marketing. It failed miserably because people want convenience. That means having an all in one phablet device.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Not even close to being possible. The logic board is where the third camera lens would be.

Premium consumers want a premium device. That means a large display. Nobody wants to use a small iPhone and carry an iPad. iPhone Pro Max serves as entertainment, credit card, and electronic car and house keys. The ultimate display of wealth is driving or walking down the street, carrying nothing but an iPhone.

Apple tried the small iPhone 5 + iPad strategy back in 2012. They pushed hard on the “one handed” marketing. It failed miserably because people want convenience. That means having an all in one phablet device.
Well this is where Apple need to release foldables like the Galaxy fold/flip which are true phablets in my opinion. Many industry U Tubers basically cannot go back to slab phones after using foldables.

yoshuey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023

yeh fair enough - would be cool to see someone attempt it somehow, but I think logic board is way bigger on pros.

yeh I no doubt a lot want a larger screen, but id still argue there's a lot of people want to pro ultra compact device. personally believe - anyone with real wealth dont need to show it.

I'd argue the mini is the most convenient phone to use for people who aren't glued to their phones.

yoshuey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2023
Well this is where Apple need to release foldables like the Galaxy fold/flip which are true phablets in my opinion. Many industry U Tubers basically cannot go back to slab phones after using foldables.
yeh exactly - just a shame apple dont move a little bit quicker on new tech. I get they want to get it right... but when it's been like 4 years since first foldable... you think apple would bring at least a super premium foldable out.

Reactions: snipr125

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa

N=1 but I always have my iPhone mini 13 and iPad mini 6 in my bag, with a MacBook Air. Different uses for each, and they’re each great at those uses.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.