Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Interesting things happening. First some orders have reportedly been shipped. Then a lot of people, including myself find their orders either upgraded or changed to 2nd day delivery. I called up apple this afternoon and had mine fixed back to overnight, but it seems this has happened to a lot of people. And now, it looks as if someone has actually received a copy tonight over in the UK (see front page). Also, the Order Status page has been down for a while tonight, and still not up.

...I have a tiny theory for these events. I believe that it was Apple's intent the whole time for everyone(mostly) to receive panther on or before the 24th. Therefore, something they did in the system to account for this changed the orders to 2nd day, because.....they all will be shipping tomorrow to be here by Friday. So, maybe a lot of people will find that their copy of panther has been shipped tomorrow.

Then again...what do i know? Any thoughts?

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
I always expected mine to arrive on Friday. When you order things pre-release you tend to get them on the release date. G5s being a notable exception--but they never had a firm release date.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
well i can't even access my order page on apple.com.au - it says "internal server error" (theirs, not mine!)

so i can't check what my shipping date is. hope i get it friday, rather than having to wait until monday.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I think Apple is trying to arrange it so all buyers get them on Friday, and all stores get them in time to sell them Friday. To do this, they have to adjust their shipping dates depending on the destination. I'm not surprised that the online store can't quite account for this, since it is designed to show how long delivery will take FROM the shipping date, not BEFORE the arrival date.

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
I just placed my order yesterday at noon Pacific Time, and selected standard ground. My shipping got moved up to Standard Overnite so I assume mine will ship tomorrow.

Even still, since some people who didn't order the first day already received shipping notices while those who ordered the first day have orders that are still open, does it make sense that ordering the first day is actually going to help?

Just curious..

autrefois

macrumors 65816
My order status was changed yesterday by Apple from 2-day to overnight, at no extra charge! I didn't even ask!

I checked the Web after I got home, and it was shipped this morning!!!

I was a little concerned since I ordered it about 30 minutes after it was available, and had been reading reports of people having it shipped even though they had ordered much later.

FedEx still doesn't have tracking info, but since it was sent overnight and was sent early this morning, I hope this means I will get it tomorrow!! :)

indar20

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
when i ordered panther, they specifically said that i would get it on the afternoon of the 24th . . . i dont see anything fishy.

ps . . . so excited!

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
I placed my order last week on my PC at work, but had the confirmation sent to my work email. I am off sick at the moment, and can't get on to my work system. Any idea how I can find out the progress of my copy of Panther? I can't really be bothered to call Apple and start explaining, just wondered if I could find out my order number or anything any other way.

Marc

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Panther far far away...

I ordered my copy via the up-to-date program on the 18th, and ever since the 19th it is still being assembled. The e-mail said that it will be shipped on the 24th, so I guess Apple doesn't plan for a 24th delivery for Europe :(.

By the way, I noticed that the European order status looks quite different from the American one I see posted on the boards.

Attachments

• orderstatus.png
    orderstatus.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 621

negrito

macrumors member
May 5, 2003
Switzerland
lucky

you are lucky! i ordered my up-to-date cd on october 9th and check out my order status:

Attachments

• bild-1.jpg
    bild-1.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 451

kenaustus

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2003
An Omen

My copy was delivered by FedEx and installation started within 15 minutes. While the PB was churning away I stepped outside for a minute, looked at the sky and saw a huge X - probably 50 miles long. It was the vapor from two airline jets that just happened to cross at the perfect angle. One hell of an omen and, yes, Panther installed perfectly.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
Re: An Omen

Originally posted by kenaustus
My copy was delivered by FedEx and installation started within 15 minutes. While the PB was churning away I stepped outside for a minute, looked at the sky and saw a huge X - probably 50 miles long. It was the vapor from two airline jets that just happened to cross at the perfect angle. One hell of an omen and, yes, Panther installed perfectly.

That's so great, wish that would happen to me..... :rolleyes:

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
Hmmm... I ordered it late Tuesday, or early Wednesday (depending on how you look at it) and I am looking at the box right now. Maybe I'll wait until 8 to install it. Or maybe I'll wait until next week. Probably next week.

crap freakboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
nar in Gainsborough, me duck
ordered it Sunday night at Apple UK.

Shipped Wednesday.

now Friday 22.34 GMT and I doubt I'll hear a knock at the door tonight.

hope it arrives tomorrow.

feel rather conned actually.

last time I order at Apple Store
:mad:

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Ordered mine on the 8th via the up to date program (new 15" AL PB).

It was initially set to ship on the 21st. On the 21st I got an email saying it had been delayed to the 24th. Now I notice the order status says on or before the 29th

:(

At this rate I'm hoping I'll get it before the year end. Vancouver isn't that far away from California!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.