Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
In my case saving images from FireFox was the culprit and I set the sandbox level down to 2 to fix it.

I wonder if this was fixed in the newly released 59?

Not fixed on 59.0.1. I upgraded to it from 58.0.2 two days ago. I wasn't having this problem with 58.0.2 and I never did drag and drop for images. I always right-click and select "Save Image As..." so this change in default app happened on its own after the update.

For me, instead of TextEdit opening my .txt files, the Console app became the default program for .txt files. Every time I change the default back to TextEdit, the setting changes back to the Console.app if I launch FireFox 59.0.1 but it stays on TextEdit if I don't launch Firefox 59.0.1.

I would change the default app by clicking on any.txt file, selecting File > Get Info and then changing the "Open with:" program to TextEdit.app (default) but it never holds if Firefox is opened.

I didn't notice any other default apps changing except for my .txt files.

Going to about:config and changing the "security.sandbox.content.level" setting to 2 from 3 seems to be working. For now.

This is on my 2015 MacBook Air running OS 10.11.6 (El Capitan)

Last edited:

Slender-

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
It's my once-every-five-years post to MacRumors...

This has been driving me NUTS for at least a couple of months. I Googled it initially and found no other sufferers, so I'm glad to see at least I'm not alone in my misery.

I was blaming Creative Cloud. Then whatever voodoo Adobe uses behind the scenes. Then a virus.

MacBook Pro, mid-2012, 10.9.5. FF 59.0.2

Off to try the Firefox fix.

This has really been a tremendous pain in the ass.

Slender-

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2013
24 hours later and so far so good with the Firefox fix.

I lay out a newspaper, and manage the website, so I'm constantly opening a range of media files across Lightroom, Photoshop, InDesign, LibreOffice, QuickTime Player, Preview, and TextEdit, all of which have suddenly found themselves belonging to very odd parents indeed.

Reactions: satcomer

mryingster

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013
California
Some good news about a workaround I've been trying and it seems to be holding.

Courtesy of https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1437281#c23

"For a workaround, browsing to about:config and setting "security.sandbox.content.level" to 2 (instead of the current default value of 3) and then restarting your browser may work. This makes the security sandbox more permissive, but doesn't completely disable it."

OH MY GOSH! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This has been driving me batty for weeks! A little bit of stress just floated away!

Signum17

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2013
Berkeley, California
Not so fast. I updated to FF 60.0.1, set the sandbox level back up to the default 3. Yesterday Preview grabbed my Photoshop file associations, so it's back to Sandbox 2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.