Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

felixen

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
Hi guys,

I’m noticing that sometimes I will take a photo or a screenshot and it will not appear in the Moments section of my Photos app on my iPhone. It will however be located in All Photos.

It seems to be a bug. I can literally take a screenshot and it will not appear in Moments > I go to All Photos to delete it > I take the same screenshot again > now it appears in Moments.

Anyone else noticing this?

Also, today I made a Snap story and the image was saved to All Photos but not to Moments.

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Hi guys,

I’m noticing that sometimes I will take a photo or a screenshot and it will not appear in the Moments section of my Photos app on my iPhone. It will however be located in All Photos.

It seems to be a bug. I can literally take a screenshot and it will not appear in Moments > I go to All Photos to delete it > I take the same screenshot again > now it appears in Moments.

Anyone else noticing this?

Also, today I made a Snap story and the image was saved to All Photos but not to Moments.

Do you use iCloud photo library?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Yup, I do. Why, is there a bug related or something?

There is lag. I can't remember which way it is but once you take a photo, it resides locally but hasn't uploaded to iCloud yet. It's not 100% instant. So sometimes it takes it a few seconds or a minute based on your connectivity. That would explain your issue.

I've seen it before a few times. I go to find a picture I just took and it's not there. I have to go to the other album (again, sorry I can't remember which way it is) to find it.

Reactions: felixen

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Metadata required for moments was removed/not recorded by the snapchat app.

Moments are based on time and date, location, etc etc aka metadata. This is data that is attached to images by a smartphone. For privacy this information generally isn't transferred/stored, depending on the app its not even recorded which is likely the case with SnapChat.

For example this is the 'Info' of a picture I took years ago.

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.36.09 PM.png

You can see I was using a iPhone 4S, resolution, file size, the iso the phone was using etc. If you zoom in you can see precisely where I was standing when I took the photo.

Screen Shot 2018-06-20 at 8.48.26 PM.png

I could even click on it to get directions.

More info then that can be attached as well like peoples names an such.

You could see why that could be a problem for people on social media since I could essentially get directions to the persons home.

Move the image to a computer and check its 'properties' on a PC or 'Get Info' on a Mac. Something moments is looking for isn't there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.