Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I used an 8” Dell Windows tablet (tablet and case on the left and just look at those thick bezels!) with small BT keyboard for a while several years ago. I decided to try the keyboard with the Mini 6 to see if it works. Even though it only has Windows and Android settings, it paired easily and it worked, including the trackpad. I’m not claiming the trackpad is fast or as responsive as one on a good portable but it’s functional. The keys are small but I’ve used all sorts of small and strange keyboards through the years. It doesn’t have dedicated number or function keys. In a pinch, it’s usable and I already had it on hand.

The MS folding keyboard is more portable and has larger keys and dedicated number and function keys, but the split in the middle takes some getting used to and it doesn’t have a trackpad or wrist rest.

I don’t know how often I will use the Mini 6 with a keyboard, but it is interesting to try it since I already had both.

Years ago, I made a sleeve/cover for my Kindle Keyboard that had room for a reading light and I hung on to it because I like the fabric. Turns out that it’s the perfect size for the Mini 6 in a folio cover, including room for the attached pencil with a flap over it. I made it with a dense, stiff interfacing so there’s some protection. It even has a side pocket for small accessories.

CA8239B8-E767-4B97-AE09-694C77BDA40D.jpeg

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have the MS folding keyboard and never got used to the wide split in the fold so it went unused except for a place where I only occasionally need aa keyboard (the TV). I use this one instead (and it's a lot cheaper than the MS) -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0799LKCLJ

Compact and works really well. But like you, I don't know how many BT keyboards I have around - too many but you never know when a particular one will come in handy.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I have the MS folding keyboard and never got used to the wide split in the fold so it went unused except for a place where I only occasionally need aa keyboard (the TV). I use this one instead (and it's a lot cheaper than the MS) -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0799LKCLJ

Compact and works really well. But like you, I don't know how many BT keyboards I have around - too many but you never know when a particular one will come in handy.
I’m not sure if you’ve posted about this one before. I know someone posted something similar, but that’s when I started going through my “stash”. No telling what else I might find if I look hard enough. I won’t use a keyboard with the Mini 6 often so I’m probably good with what I already have but I appreciate the suggestion. That looks useful.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I’m not sure if you’ve posted about this one before. I know someone posted something similar, but that’s when I started going through my “stash”. No telling what else I might find if I look hard enough. I won’t use a keyboard with the Mini 6 often so I’m probably good with what I already have but I appreciate the suggestion. That looks useful.

I have, a couple of times I think. I've started using it with the Mini 6 and it works nicely with it.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I have, a couple of times I think. I've started using it with the Mini 6 and it works nicely with it.
I just found an even smaller flat keyboard without the trackpad. It looks like it was made for the Mini 6, almost exactly that width. I actually did use it for a while. I will have to try it after I charge it. I’m sure it won’t be the most pleasant typing experience, but I might keep one keyboard downstairs and one upstairs just for the heck of it. I could even keep one at our camp, just in case.

LibbyLA

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 16, 2017
I have a Zagg universal keyboard case for 8” tablets but the Mini 6 is too tall (landscape mode) to fit. That’s more a point of interest than anything. I wouldn’t want to put my beautiful Mini 6 in a clunky keyboard case like that.

Neil.gtis

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2021
England
I have the Zagg messenger folio and it just
About fits the mini 6 is not long enough
See top right of photo
And you have to use it with the power button at the bottom right
Neil
09EFE181-61CF-425C-88BC-75749D469ADF.jpeg

Reactions: LibbyLA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.