Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Right now i'm facing a bit of an emergency with my macbook, in fact it is so dire it i am actually typing this with my wii (thankfully they now can have keyboards connected so typing isn't so much of a chore)

getting to the point, i usually leave my macbook on overnight, sometimes playing music, etc. but when i checked on it this morning i found it had shut down overnight and it would not turn on.

the specifics of the issue are that it turns on, i hear the CD drive make noises but then the system is completely blank, with the system light flashing on and off. i don't hear the mac activation noise and the display does not turn on (i dim the screen overnight, but if its turned on again it usually restores itself to the default brightnes)

Unfortunately i am not covered by applecare, and i thinkt he warranty i got from the store i bought it from has ran out since it is a first gen macbook.

i figure the issue must be the logicboard, and is quite possibly unfixable. but any imput would be helpful, i may be forced to get an imac sooner than i had anticipated

msjones

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2007
Nottinghamshire, UK
Have you tried unplugging from the mains and removing the battery for 5 - 10 mins, this should discharge any power left in the system. This worked for me!

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
Have you tried unplugging from the mains and removing the battery for 5 - 10 mins, this should discharge any power left in the system. This worked for me!

Just tried this, removed the battery and power for half an hour and tried turning on, still the same.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
Do you get a green or orange light on the magsafe connector? Maybe the adaptor is dead and your battery isn't charged? Does the battery indicator lights indicate a charge?

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
Unless the logicboard or harddrives are toast.

Wouldn't be the hard drive.

This, Logic board failure or run out of battery power is the issue. I once thought I'd completely killed my MBP but it just turned out it had run out of power... :p

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
i was thorough before i made the post >_>

the battery has a full charge and the power cable displayed a green light. just attempted to reset the pram but nothing.

the display does not even go into the boot screen, it just sits there with the display blank (in fact, the back light does not even come on, attempting to adjust the brightness does nothing), it just sits there with the white system light steadily on

KoolStar

macrumors demi-god
Oct 16, 2006
Kentucky
I have had a similar issue, and it turned out to be that the backlight went out. You might want to turn it on and hold a flashlight up to the apple logo on the back, this will allow the light to pass through the back of the screen and show you the center of the screen, You would be able to check to see if any thing comes up on the screen at all.

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
well, i checked my receipts and i'm still covered by the department store i bought it from so i can try and claim warranty on it. if i'm lucky i could get a new madbook, heh.

i just tried the torch trick, and nothing showed up

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
well, i checked my receipts and i'm still covered by the department store i bought it from so i can try and claim warranty on it. if i'm lucky i could get a new madbook, heh.

i just tried the torch trick, and nothing showed up

try

you can boot form the CD by doing command C or command D can't remember but i did both on mine when it stopped working one doesn't do anything in boot

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
its covered by john lewis's warranty, but still, should i try to take it to apple, or is it best to go directly to JL?

Aegelward

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2005
UK
JL? department store? where do you live?

I would go to apple they will be able to diagnose it quicker

well, i live nearer to birmingham, but i'm afraid that if i take it into apple they'd try to repair it themselves and charge me a fair bit, but since i'm covered by john lewis all service will be free

Fonzijr1964

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Maryland
well, i live nearer to birmingham, but i'm afraid that if i take it into apple they'd try to repair it themselves and charge me a fair bit, but since i'm covered by john lewis all service will be free

You dont have to get apple to repair it you can just say no thanks and i may come back if you think it costs too much or you just want another opinion

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Definitely just go to JL, they'll likely replace the machine for you, if you take it to apple they'll charge you.

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
Back to JL with it - you will probably get a new machine.

For the benefit of all the non-UK readers - JL is John Lewis a UK department store. Unlike most computer retailers they extend the 1 years "normal" guarantee to 2 years. So since the MacBooks were announced in May 2006 the OP's machine must be less than 2 years old.

Good luck

MacDaddy08

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
You might have allready tried this but you can remove the battery and the power connector and then hold down the power buttom for 5-10 seconds. If that doesnt work then try holding down the power buttom with everything connected to see if the white lights starts flashing rapidly then release it. Try those 2 out and see if you get a response.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.