Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I like Microsoft. I have primarily used Windows computers my entire life. This is one thing that really made me want to move entirely away from the platform. Luckily this is a replacement gaming pc from his old gaming pc that is breaking down. He is still able to use his old computer. If that were not so I would have taken more drastic measures. I could have wiped the PC and started over but we had just set everything up and transferred all of his old data. It took a while to get all the programs synced and all his data back where it is supposed to be. I just didn't want to do all that again.

So now it is just a waiting game. I wanted to ask for help but I also wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem? How common an issue is it? Seems like if it happened to a business or enterprise customer that Microsoft might fix this issue??
I understand your frustration, but do note that this is not necessarily a Windows issue. This is a security measure for Microsoft account. All other online services have similar measures, be it Google, iCloud, etc.

This will rarely happen in a business because in a managed system (eg. Microsoft 365 Business), the IT admin will certainly have admin access, and can reset any of the users' passwords remotely.

Take this as a lesson.

Whenever you have a computer, be it PC or Mac, create at least two accounts. First, create an admin (yours) account before any other accounts. Then add the rest afterwards (in this case, your son). That way, the machine have at least two accessible accounts. If your son's account is locked, you can access the system using your admin account. And take online accounts seriously. You can use password managers to keep important passwords.

Reactions: Technerd108

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Far easier suggested than executed.

I have not yet tried Windows 11, but even Windows 10 has been changed over the years, taking away side avenues. Quite frankly, the following tricks may no longer work:

This is almost as bad as the activation problem(s), which has the only solution of “You can purchase a new key…” (I am speaking of keys, digital and physical sticker, that you know with certainty have never by used on a different PC.)
In Windows 10, it's still easy.
During first time setup, simply don't connect to the internet at all.

In Windows 11 Home, it's impossible, at least for the first time account during setup. Any subsequent accounts after that can be offline, and the option is there.

In Windows 11 Pro, the option for offline account is still there.

As bad as activations were in the early days, I actually have not experienced any problems from Windows 8 forward. The worst case I had was I had to do it via phone, but it was automated and went smoothly.

I do agree that forcing online account, especially for first time PC setup, is not a good thing.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
In Windows 10, it's still easy.
During first time setup, simply don't connect to the internet at all.

In Windows 11 Home, it's impossible, at least for the first time account during setup. Any subsequent accounts after that can be offline, and the option is there.

In Windows 11 Pro, the option for offline account is still there.

As bad as activations were in the early days, I actually have not experienced any problems from Windows 8 forward. The worst case I had was I had to do it via phone, but it was automated and went smoothly.

I do agree that forcing online account, especially for first time PC setup, is not a good thing.
Add to that that new PC's are now shipping with Windows 11 pre-installed which was the case with my son's PC.

For my son I got a great deal on a Victus 16" gaming laptop and despite the wobbly display and the recent log in problems it is a really nice PC and I paid as much as some basic cheap laptops on sale at BestBuy. Luckily the Holiday sales were good despite delays. It was just a disappointment for me personally as a Dad because he is very picky and will keep something even if it is half working like his old HP gaming Laptop and he actually started using the Victus and didn't look back and that was a first!! Then just a few days in the lock out.

We will get it resolved and all will be good again. It is odd to me more people have not had this issue. Maybe it is just me?

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
In terms of workarounds, the most permanent one is to use Linux Mint or Pop OS if it uses an nVidia GPU, and then install WINE for whatever bloated spyware Windows only programs you do need (hint: not much, even the Adobe suite is pretty well substituted these days with great free alternatives like Shotcut and DaVinci Resolve for Premiere).​

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
In terms of workarounds, the most permanent one is to use Linux Mint or Pop OS if it uses an nVidia GPU, and then install WINE for whatever bloated spyware Windows only programs you do need (hint: not much, even the Adobe suite is pretty well substituted these days with great free alternatives like Shotcut and DaVinci Resolve for Premiere).​
Not a good suggestion for a gaming machine.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Thank you. I use Debian 11 on an HP laptop I have had for years.

For my son it is not going to work. Let's not turn this into a Linux thread although Linux is great.

Reactions: rezenclowd3

lepidotós

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2021
Marinette, Arizona
@Lihp8270
It's not 1998 anymore, Linux is fine for gaming these days, especially now that Steam Deck exists. Both Epic Games and BattlEye have committed to supporting it, and for games without anti-cheat, the only one I haven't gotten working is Gothic, and I doubt that's going to be an issue considering it's as old as I am.​

• Haha

Lihp8270

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2016
@Lihp8270
It's not 1998 anymore, Linux is fine for gaming these days, especially now that Steam Deck exists. Both Epic Games and BattlEye have committed to supporting it, and for games without anti-cheat, the only one I haven't gotten working is Gothic, and I doubt that's going to be an issue considering it's as old as I am.​
It’s not fine for gaming these days. Any multiplayer with anti cheat is pretty much a no go and that’s just to start with.

While both BattlEye and EAC have Linux support so far developers haven’t implemented it.

Watch the LTT series about gaming on Linux, neither of them had a smooth experience of anything remotely comparable to Windows.

Linux is still a long way from where it needs to be for mainstream adoption.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Linux is fine for gaming these days, especially now that Steam Deck exists.
The Steam deck may in fact change things, but I recently tried gaming on pop_os, with my Razer Blade. The experience was horrible. I can easily say that Linux is not fine for gaming. Linus of LTT did a Linux daily driver test where Linux was their machine for gaming (and work I believe), and I recommend you watch their conclusions. Some games ran ok, many required some significant work, and others did not work. Their conclusion is was that Linux is not ready for prime time for gaming.

Reactions: Technerd108
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.