Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
Strange Problem here. Just got a new 12 Mini a couple of days ago and went through all the setup and transfer process. All went well except for one item I cant seem to figure out how to fix. For some reason, all music got doubled up. Simple, I though, I'll just delete the duplicate. Did that and resynced the phone to my laptop and the music doubled up again. I also have a Captune app (from Sennheiser, the old app) that has the songs which I listen to since it does better than the Apple music app, but I don't think this is the problem, as I had this on my iPhone 7 and this never happened. And, when I look on my laptop (MacBook Pro) there is no doubling of songs. I'm out of ideas - any suggestions?

fstevens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2008
Strange Problem here. Just got a new 12 Mini a couple of days ago and went through all the setup and transfer process. All went well except for one item I cant seem to figure out how to fix. For some reason, all music got doubled up. Simple, I though, I'll just delete the duplicate. Did that and resynced the phone to my laptop and the music doubled up again. I also have a Captune app (from Sennheiser, the old app) that has the songs which I listen to since it does better than the Apple music app, but I don't think this is the problem, as I had this on my iPhone 7 and this never happened. And, when I look on my laptop (MacBook Pro) there is no doubling of songs. I'm out of ideas - any suggestions?
I had this problem after setting up my 12 Pro, too, although not all songs were duplicated. I got rid of the duplicates by deleting all music from my phone, rebooting, syncing from my iMac *without* syncing music, rebooting again, and then syncing again from my iMac, syncing music this time. However, after doing all of this, the problem I already had with incorrect album art got a lot worse. I tried repeating this voodoo again, and most album art changed to different, but still incorrect, album art. (Album art is correct on my iMac.) At least the duplicates are gone . . .

Reactions: na1577

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
This has happened to me before in my XS max. I had to erase and reinstall. It didn't happen with my 12 Pro Max or my mini. Go figure.

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
Thanks for the insight. I looked at the Apple support forum, and all I got there was a lot of confusion and methods that I could not find. Did some of what they said, and most everything duplicated again. Looks like what you are suggesting is the best method - delete and resend. Funny how this is only on my iPhone 12 Mini and not the iPad or iPod...

High Desert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2015
Powell Butte, Or.
It worked! Just went into settings > music > downloaded songs and deleted all at once. Then reconnected to MBP, synced, and the world is again round! Don't know why the people on the Apple forum have to try and make it so complicated. Thx again,

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’m glad you figured it out but I’d like to piggyback off this topic into a very similar one. Has anybody else experienced Apple Music replacing your music with alternate/edited versions? I just deleted one of my favorite tunes from when I was in Okinawa that I’ve been listening to for 20+ years because it was a live performance and NOT the original studio album track that I love so much. I searched my music and this was the only available version.

The clean version replacement is crap because I have no restrictions enabled on any of my devices. This has been happening for years and Apple has been zero help.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Do you have locally sync’d music from your iTunes library (purchased/downloaded music) as well as music sync’d (matched/streamed ~ yet downloaded) using Apple Music?

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
I just noticed I have the same issue. Most manually copied ( via iTunes) songs are duplicates or more.

Attachments

• A5129A05-E77A-4324-95BC-27B944794FC0.png
    A5129A05-E77A-4324-95BC-27B944794FC0.png
    690.4 KB · Views: 63

hjuk

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2022
It worked! Just went into settings > music > downloaded songs and deleted all at once. Then reconnected to MBP, synced, and the world is again round! Don't know why the people on the Apple forum have to try and make it so complicated. Thx again,
Bang-on! Thanks. Yes, it's simple. Your solution seems to have just worked fine for me. (I'll come back and report if I discover any unfound disasters!)

Reactions: Hemingray
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.