Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania
Hi,

A few days ago I was listening to one of my playlists in my car, which consists solely of songs from Apple Music (but downloaded locally, not streamed over the internet). All of the sudden it occurred to me that the song I was listening to was sounding awfully wrong. The singer was more bleating than singing, and the melodic line was somewhat distorted. I opened the Music app, and to my dismay I noticed that the normal version of the song, which I had previously had in my library, had been misteriously replaced with a live version, or a club remix, or something like that.
I downloaded the correct track again, added it to my playlist, removed the other one from my library, and all was well. That is, until today, when it happened again with a completely different song - it had been replaced with a "radio edit" version of itself.

What gives? Why is Apple messing with my library and changing things behind my back? Is this a bug? Has it happened to you?

Thank you.

Last edited:

Malcolm's

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2023
It's possible that Apple's library might occasionally switch out songs with alternate versions due to licensing agreements or updates. While it's not very common, glitches can happen. Make sure your app settings aren't set to automatically replace downloaded songs with Apple-curated versions.

okkibs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2022
Only your device that your library originates from retains the original files. If you access your library on other devices with your subscription Apple will not play your file and instead will find a matching one from their service. There have been some reports that even the original library gets the original files replaced, I don't know if that is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.