Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illippinno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
Hi all,

Tried to do a quick search and didn't see it so pardon me if this has already been discussed.

I have an iPhone 6+ running on iOS 8.2 that I recently plugged into my Mac to transfer some songs, and after manually syncing a new album onto my iPhone, everything else disappeared from my Music app.

My storage usage didn't change, however, it looks like the music is still in my device. When I connected it back to my Mac and checked iTunes, all my music are still listed and playable through the Music on "On My Device" tab - but when going to the Music app on my iPhone, it only shows the most recent album I transferred.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Not same as you but I lost 2 Albums on my iPhone after 8.2. But, I can't say exactly when they were lost. Had to restore my music thru iTunes. All Ok--:)

illippinno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I ended up having to restore my phone as well - though I haven't loaded any of my music back yet.

It only started to do this with 8.2 as well. I did an experiment before I restored my phone a few hours ago that I deleted a different album from my device on iTunes, and once it was done syncing, the latest album I transferred was missing from my Music app as well. Weird.

Not same as you but I lost 2 Albums on my iPhone after 8.2. But, I can't say exactly when they were lost. Had to restore my music thru iTunes. All Ok--:)

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Seems like a possible bug. Not sure how one reports those being new to these phones. Or, if you can. Maybe we will see more comments on this. Gonna check my music more. But, maybe just a one time occurrence. :(

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
Most people won't. This is the first time I have had any issues with an update. I am hearing good things about 8.3 though. #

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
I ended up having to restore my phone as well - though I haven't loaded any of my music back yet.

It only started to do this with 8.2 as well. I did an experiment before I restored my phone a few hours ago that I deleted a different album from my device on iTunes, and once it was done syncing, the latest album I transferred was missing from my Music app as well. Weird.

But if you are manually syncing music doesn't it only sync what you select? ie remove the old music and sync only the selected album?

Are you viewing available storage in iTunes or on the device itself? iTunes can display old info for awhile after a sync. How much space is being occupied by music if you go to settings -> general-> usage -> manage storage? If you select music it should show albums on the phone.

Also, un-checking automatically sync with this iPhone, then re-enabling can sometimes force iTunes to update the storage available on the device.

MMillerUSA

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2016
Hi all,

Tried to do a quick search and didn't see it so pardon me if this has already been discussed.

I have an iPhone 6+ running on iOS 8.2 that I recently plugged into my Mac to transfer some songs, and after manually syncing a new album onto my iPhone, everything else disappeared from my Music app.

My storage usage didn't change, however, it looks like the music is still in my device. When I connected it back to my Mac and checked iTunes, all my music are still listed and playable through the Music on "On My Device" tab - but when going to the Music app on my iPhone, it only shows the most recent album I transferred.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

This same thing has happened to me. I am not sure exactly when. I have an iPhone 6 currently running 9.2.1 The only music that shows on the phone is what I have purchased thru iTunes. Everything else that was on our home mac and transferred on is not there. When I look at the phone it only shows the downloaded music…if I am syncing the phone to the computer it shows that all the music is there. This is clearly some kind of bug and one that Apple seems to be ignoring. Without sounding paranoid it feels like you are very shortly ONLY going to see music that you bought through iTunes or Apple Music. They want to control everything….

Cagneymd11

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2017
This same thing has happened to me. I am not sure exactly when. I have an iPhone 6 currently running 9.2.1 The only music that shows on the phone is what I have purchased thru iTunes. Everything else that was on our home mac and transferred on is not there. When I look at the phone it only shows the downloaded music…if I am syncing the phone to the computer it shows that all the music is there. This is clearly some kind of bug and one that Apple seems to be ignoring. Without sounding paranoid it feels like you are very shortly ONLY going to see music that you bought through iTunes or Apple Music. They want to control everything….
[doublepost=1484001000][/doublepost]I have the exact same problem. The reply of apple:"we never heard of such a problem, I'm afraid we can't help you with that!" What a load of nonsense

Pigman168

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2017
I had the same problem and fixed it by going to Music under the "On My Device" section, then clicking on edit playlist on the right and then dragging the songs over again. May want to try copying other songs that aren't on the device because that's what I did to make it work. I should have separated the actions to see if it makes a difference. Hope it works for everyone else :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.